17 January 2008

This Icebox

I don't know about you, but where we're at we have been experiencing a slightly abnormal cool down. Though the temperature has already been lower than the normal average lately, I hear they're expecting it to drop a whole lot more as a predicted blast of arctic air comes blowing into our area this weekend. Forecasts are calling for temps in the lower single digits with wind gusts up to 30-35 mph. After some quick figuring, that should put the wind chill readings right around -20° to -25° ... now that's chilly! Add to that the fact we received about six inches of fresh powder last night and it's beginning to feel (and look) a bit like the Alaskan tundra around here. Now, where are my sled dogs at?

Being from the upper reaches of the icebox country of northern Minnesota myself, these temps are actually about normal for this time of year. I can remember many times as a boy when I'd practice hockey skating down on the lake, sometimes in the worst of conditions. The wind was ferocious enough it would blow you backward faster than you could skate forward. And remembering when spring track season sometimes meant wearing a baklava for the run over to the track on the other side of town. Of course the weather could be tough, but you accepted it and got used to it. Well, that and it sure didn't hurt to layer yourself up like the Michelin Man sometimes. Sure, living up north meant life slowed a person down some, but you learned to deal with it ... because life doesn't stop for the cold. It means even when the temps are dipping, the wind is howling, and the snow is swirling, you'd still pack up your lefse or lutefisk and trudge on over to the local church potluck. It's just a way of life for many people, especially for those who can see the northern lights on a daily basis.

Now, I'm not saying this to insinuate that northern folk are better or more resilient than any one else. Actually, I am hoping to demonstrate that anyone can acclimate themselves to colder weather if they try. It doesn't need to put the crimp on your life or your training. All it takes is understanding ... and a little planning.

Lately I have been keeping some extra notes in my daily running log. I've been trying to detail what I wear and how I feel on each run. My choice for doing this is that it really helps me "zero in" my attire to fit the circumstances. No longer do I need to guess whether only a base layer will keep me warm or not, or if I'd be better suited wearing my vest over my jacket shell. Sure, I may have an off-choice once in a while, but I'll bet by the next time I encounter a similar situation I will be prepared. Ultimately, these choices are helping me to hone my running potential. And that's the key.

Here's a serious question all cold-weather runners should ask themselves ... do I know what a wind chill factor is? Do I really understand how it can affect my day to day activities? Interestingly, it's quite possible "wind chill" is the most frequently misunderstood weather term today. It isn't actually a temperature scale but a measurement of heat loss from the combined effect of wind and low temperatures. Wind chill indicates how cold people feel while outside. According to the National Weather Service wind chill is not the actual temperature but rather how the wind and cold feels on exposed skin based on the rate of heat loss. And the simple fact that air temperature does not have to be below freezing for someone to experience cold emergencies such as hypothermia and frostbite is quite revealing.

So, how DO I keep from freezing on my run in this icebox outside?

Basically, it pays to research running conditions BEFORE you run. Either the internet or your local weather channel should suffice. Be sure to pay close attention to not only the temperature itself, but also the wind speed and overall wind chill factor. Know what you're getting yourself into, then prepare yourself accordingly:

  • Proper clothing. Runners must wear appropriate clothing for cold conditions. Choose material that wicks perspiration away from the body. Dress in layers to adjust to changing conditions. Be careful to avoid overdressing.

  • Hat and gloves. Most body heat is lost through your head, so keep it covered at all times. It has been suggested that mittens help trap heat possibly more than gloves. Think wool or heavy fleece.

  • Socks and shoes. Wear thick absorbent dry socks, and make sure you have adequate space in your running shoes to accomodate them.

  • Hydration and skin care. It is imperative to remember to maintain adequate hydration before and after running. Dehydration occurs more frequently in cold weather. Use a moisturizer to prevent dry skin and redness in the facial area.

  • Diet and nutrition. Studies have shown that long, intense activity can make you susceptible to colds. Eating fresh vegetables and taking vitamin C regularly can help maintain your immune system and could possibly prevent a cold.

No comments: