01 December 2008

Down by the River

Reading "50/50" by Dean Karnazes today, I ran across this very insightful viewpoint regarding an intriguing contrast of both passion and motivation in regards to running. Here is an excerpt from his book:

The best way I know to overcome low motivation for running is to get back in touch with the source of my passion to run. Motivation and passion are somewhat different. Passion is an overwhelming love for the experience of a favorite activity. Motivation is a drive to engage in an activity based on some reward the activity offers beyond the simple enjoyment of the experience itself. When you have great passion for running, or anything else, you don't need any extra motivation. But motivation without passion can only take you so far.

Nonrunners become runners by developing a passion for running. But runners often take their running in directions that distance them from the source of their passion. Trading the simple joy of running for a focus on competition is the classic scenario... That being said, there is no question that setting event goals can be a powerful motivator for runners, and it has had a positive effect on my moral in the past. Looking forward to a specific event goal has a way of making each individual training motivation level high. However, goals only have this effect when they are appropriate, and when they are viewed with the proper perspective. For example, if you set a goal to run a marathon as a way to impress others, it probably won't keep you motivated. Goals have to come from the heart. They must represent achievements that you desire for yourself. And if you place too much importance on any goal, then it won't keep you motivated. If achieving a certain finishing time in your next marathon becomes the only thing about your running that matters to you, then you may not enjoy the process of training for that marathon. Sure, achieving a goal can be rewarding, but it's the journey--not reaching the destination--that brings true fulfillment.

Okay, I sheepishly admit...I secretly love playing dodgeball with the church youth on Wednesday nights. I'm certainly not an dodgeball expert, because frequently you'll see me being completely owned by those who are younger and, realistically, more expertly-trained than I. But even though I am clearly not the dodgeball professional I aspire to be, I still utterly enjoy it. You could say I have a passion for it. Now, if Jon were to make good on his regular promises of fist-fulls of candy to the winning team, rather than only his "undying love and affection", things might change. However, I am thinking that still wouldn't affect the outcome of the game for me. Though such motivation is obviously good and all, just the act of this favorite pastime, shared with our group of middle-schoolers, is simply more than enough to suffice.

Sure, some runners say that running and motivation go hand-in-hand. That by seeking motivation first, the desire to run (and run successfully) will surely follow. I can relate to this. Who wouldn't say that motivation isn't a strong stimulator? I'm certainly not denying the effect that it has on pushing us out of a warm bed at those freakeshly-early morning times, or the response that it develops in us as we inevitably work increasingly harder towards prized goals. That's life. Without motivation, most of us wouldn't tackle the hard stuff. But remember, if all you strive for is a set of results, then that motivation is inevitably going to keep you locked on a one-way path headed towards lack of enthusiasm.

Dean is obviously onto something here. It seems that some of us have forgotten the basics of how powerful passion can be within our lives, as well within our running.

Can you remember back to the original enthusiasm that brought you to running in the first place? Maybe it was the liberation from your own self-doubt...you know, those limitations you thought that eternally separated you from the casual runner you'd see time to time running across town, seemingly without a care in the world. Or how about the courage your running developed...the desire to experience or do something you thought previously wasn't possible, and the glorious self-awakening you felt when you did it. The rush of endorphins, and the knowledge that by breaking through those limitations you had found a hidden runner inside yourself.

I feel that running and passion go hand-in-hand. That, by finding and remembering your passion (and making this a running foundation), your motivation and the success of your running will surely follow. It's all about getting back to those basics. Back to the acceptance that some goals may or may not be reached, a race may or may not be finished, a PR may or may not be set...it's acceptance. It's back to running for and with a passion, and letting the motivation grow from there.

I like this quote by Jesse Owens -- "I always loved running...it was something you could do by yourself, and under your own power. You could go in any direction, fast or slow as you wanted, fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs." How true this is, that when you break running down to its very core, the single strongest element that encourages and pushes us is the passion from which it was originally developed.

I'm just like you. I have my days of good running, and some days of bad running. My motivational levels swing up and down, much like the thermometer currently outside. Today was clearly one of those days where the pool of motivation was lower than normal. But then I found an old trail down by the river, and for an hour I simply ran. Through four inches of fresh snow, patches of ice and sharp gusts of wind, I ran. Thoughts from the pressing matters of life dropped away for a few brief moments, and somewhere along the way the passion was found again.

And in finding this, I kept right on running.

1 comment:

Bill Carter said...

Wow. This is such an amazing post and I am honored to be the first one to comment. Just think how empty life would be without passion. And honestly, if I didn't have a passion for my running I wouldn't do it. I was a little bothered by Dean's assertion in the beginning of the book that running is not fun. Yes, there are certain things about certain runs that I do not find enjoyable. But there is always that feeling of my body being propelled forward that I enjoy so much. And that is not to mention those post run endorphins.

Best of luck with your running and hope you have a great holiday season.