20 November 2007

8-On-The-8th Virtual Run

Looking for something to do this December? How about running in your first virtual race, Non-Runner Nancy is organizing a virtual 8-mile race that will take place on the 8th of December, although you are encouraged to run anytime between Dec 7-9. For more information on this event, see the forum at Runner's Lounge.

In the spirit of the season, and in honor of the first virtual run, I've listed eight reasons why I am planning to participate:


  1. I enjoy the motivation of running with virtual friends ... which enables me to run for the finish line without ever looking over my shoulder for late-surgers.

  2. I am able to set my own pace ... no more feeling rushed by runners of faster pace or again getting passed by other runners.

  3. I am able to choose my own course ... my route can be as hilly or flat as I like it, even adopting course changes as I go.

  4. I don't have to pull out my checkbook to pay the entry fee ... that's right, it's free! And no registration forms to fill out, no packet pickup lines to wait in, as well.

  5. I have no need to worry about chip vs. actual time ... all I'll need is my trusty Ironman watch, and whatever time it says is final.

  6. I won't need to worry about an official start time ... I can begin my virtual race when I want to, so sleeping in is an option.

  7. I get a chance to add my very first virtual-race shirt to my running closet ... of course, how do I wash it??

  8. Best of all, I need a reason to work off that latest turkey dinner, with mashed potatoes, gravy, corn casserole, pumkin pie ... and then after my run I can pull out the leftovers!

If you're looking to join us, be sure and run safe. Maybe I'll see you out there!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

YAHOO!!! So glad you are joining us.

I could be over your shoulder, but I doubt it. :D (and if I was, I'm sure you'd pull away in a few seconds.)

I really like the fact that you get to pick your own start time. Another favorite, which you probably can't relate to, the field doesn't completely drop you in the first half mile. :D Amy knows what I'm talking about.

Great winter list, by the way. Winter is starting off with quite a bang this year and I have not done much winter running so I will use your suggestions.

Nanc