13 November 2007

The Race Of Life

The past week has been a blur for me in many regards, and I have inadvertently neglected the blog. It's just that I've been feeling fairly odd for the last couple of weeks and know that I am still not 100% with my health yet. Yeah, something to do with the possible side effects of the previous medication for my earlier strep throat. I have been to the doctor a few times now and they are running some additional tests to help rule out other possible bacterial infections. But I can only take so much of the blahs and busied myself over weekend with everything from yard work to winterizing and storing our camper. It felt so good to get outside and relish in the warm sunshine. I know these types of days are getting scarce now, and I've needed the chance to get things ready for the colder season that's coming.

Another activity I recently had to put on hold has been my running. Okay, if you're a runner yourself you know how tough this can be. Try curtailing the one daily activity that you love doing the most and see how you feel…in a nutshell, it's been strange. Not only that I haven't been out there pounding the pavement and trails, but it has been odd not having to constantly wash my workout clothing as I normally do at the end of each day, or consistently jot information down in my running journal as a way to keep track of mileage, time, and route data. So odd, in fact, that I couldn't stand it a minute longer and had to pull my running shoes back on. That's right, I'm back running…finally. Though I was cautious and kept the afterburners turned all the way down yesterday, I was able to crank out a respectable 5.75 miles. Oooh, it felt good. I chose a route through some of the most beautiful scenery downtown Des Moines has to offer. I just love this time of year…the vibrant and endless fall colors, the cascading leaves to run through, the brisk air with that hint of winter scent. Nothing like recharging the batteries. I think it allowed me to feel like I was still dedicated to my love for running; that it hadn't been forgotten or hadn't forgotten me. It was just what I've needed to help me feel normal again.

Reminding me of dedication is one of the great mega-distance runners of our time, Dean Karnazes. Dean has completed many spectacular feats, such as 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 days, and running 350 continuous miles. I mean, this guy is built for ultra-endurance and ultra distances! Not only does it require phenomenal physical strength and stamina, but also endless and relentless training. It takes dedication, and he appears to be the epitome of this trait.

Remarkably, our approach to our spiritual fitness & dedication should be quite similar. Oh, it may not involve the same pain as running the Badwater Ultramarathon, an extreme 135 mile course that begins at 282 feet below sea level and finishes at an elevation of 8360 feet, but it does require serious focus and dedication. You see, God wants us to train not only our bodies but also our minds. In 1 Timothy 4:7-8, Paul writes, "...train yourself to be godly. For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come." The goal here is not spiritual muscle-flexing but godliness - a life that is pleasing to the Lord. Ultimately, God wants us to be prepared to serve him.

Running is an excellent way to train our bodies to be healthy and able, ready for whatever marathons we may run. Prayer and studying the Word also trains our minds to be strong and focused, ready for His service.

    How well we train greatly affects how well we run our race of life. - David C. McCasland
Key thought: Godly exercise is key to godly character.

No comments: