17 December 2007

A Christmas Story

During this time of year, our household seems to develop a minor obsession for all things Christmas. Christmas music playing, little Christmas villages for the kids to play with, endless varieties of baked Christmas goodies, and colorful Christmas decorations everywhere -- both indoor and out, all thanks to the unceasing efforts of my wonderful wife. But what I also enjoy are the Christmas movies. To me they are just as integral to setting the Christmas mood as everything else.

You can't beat those true classics ... Miracle on 34th Street, Irving Berlin's White Christmas, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, It's a Wonderful Life. Co'mon, you know you tear up a little just watching all of George Bailey's neighbors streaming into his house to give him their pocket change while belting out Auld Lang Syne. And what guy wouldn't relish the opportunity to decorate the exterior of his home as Clark Griswald so famously did with so many lights it would show up on Google's satellite map.

However, my all time hands-down favorite has to be A Christmas Story. Many consider it to have been the tribute of tributes to the original, traditional, one-hundred-percent, red-blooded, two-fisted, all-American Christmas. It was a campy humor hit then that still continues to be to this day. Besides, this classic has some great childhood memories for me for it was this movie my family saw during Christmas of '83 while visiting my sister and her husband in Dallas. I wasn't much older than Ralphie myself at the time, and the thought of an official Red Ryder carbine-action 200-shot range model BB rifle with compass in the stock under the tree (or something of vaguely similar boy-intrigued value that was sure to "shoot your eye out") was all I could dream of that season. I'm still reminded of the playfullness and the tomfoolery found throughout this movie, especially the scene as Ralphie's friend exhibits a moment of true dim-wittedness when he sticks his tongue to the playground's frozen flag pole after receiving the dreaded "triple-dog" dare. (I've been told one of my younger nephews performed this very stunt himself just this past week, after being goaded into it by his older brother … hmm, I wonder if they saw that movie at my house?)

For those of you who share an affection for A Christmas Story, interestingly the Christmas Story house has since been restored to its movie splendor and is now open year round to the public for tours. In fact, I've heard if you happen to drive by on a cold winter's night, you may notice a curious leg-shaped lamp in the front window.

In all, I've enjoyed this sentimental masterpiece and how it has provided a nostalgic and innocent peek back into a past when kids wouldn't spend countless hours in front of the television or playing video games, but rather would curl up with a couple of good books or daydream of their heroes while listening as the evening's radio drama unfolded. Though I never experienced some of these long-ago traditions myself, my parents have told us countless tales over the years of wonderful times like these when families shared heartwarming traditions of simple moments spent together. It is my Christmas wish that I share those same memories with my children; something I hope they will treasure and share with their own some day themselves.

Oh, I have watched A Christmas Story, along with countless other memorable classics in my collection, multiple times already this season. But what I really cherish are those moments when my kids nestle up on the couch with me to join in yet another showing. Lest I forget that big ol' fashioned bowl of popcorn, they'll remind me rather quick! And many times we'll get a few good, hearty laughs together, and still other times they'll just drift off during the movie and fall asleep in my arms. Yeah, those are the memories I'll enjoy for many years to come.

You see, nothing beats that warm feeling that the holiday and the birth of Jesus our Savior brings. So be sure to create your own Christmas story with your family this year, and enjoy this wonderful season of memories-to-be-made. Oh, and be sure to drink your Ovaltine.

Here's my online gift to you, set to the seasonal music from Trans-Siberian Orchestra (my wife just loves them) ... enjoy!

1 comment:

Database Diva said...

Although we own the DVD, every Christmas we turn the television to TBS and let A Christmas Story run in the background. I probably won't sit and watch the whole thing from start to finish, but I will watch parts of it all day.

Merry Christmas and Don't shoot your eye out!