30 December 2007

The Process Of Endurance

It's almost here ... the brand new year of 2008. Almost time to close a chapter to a year full of memories and accomplishments, and open a new book full of promises and hope. For some time now I have been contemplating what my New Year's resolutions should be. And up until today, I've been ready to set forth on a fresh course of resolve and determination. That is, until I heard today's sermon at church and decided to take a slightly different route this year.

Traditionally, resolutions are known as the inspired intention of making a decision to act upon an action or course of action. In simpler terms, it is us setting our minds to do our best to accomplish something during the year to come, though usually without real firm conviction thrown in. Oh, we know we have good intentions to achieve the results we'd hoped for, but most times the list we create before (or sometimes after) the clock strikes midnight on December 31st ultimately sits pinned to our bulletin board amidst a medley of notes with hastily scrawled phone numbers, a cluttered calendar filled to capacity with handwritten events, a rare but prized photo of the kids actually hugging one another, and this month's list of pre-school and church activities. Believe it or not, about 80% of all New Year's resolutions will be broken by Jan 31st. Mainly because most involve daily committment to behavior modification, experts say.

Now, please do not assume I am speaking for all the resolution writers out there. I know there are many of you who commendably follow through on these with precision and merit. But for the rest of us humble action-seekers, I myself included, these seem to become only faded memories but a month or two into the year.

However, today I learned about the process of endurance. You see, endurance is a resulting factor of clearly defined goals. Just like running a marathon, the goal may be to finish the entire distance. But without endurance, you'll never reach the end. And goals, to me, are endeavors that need to be beyond intention. Pair them up and you have a better ability of focusing and achieving.

So just what is the modus operandi of endurance, and how can we use it in our normal and spiritual lives? Here are a few key things to remember about going the distance:
  1. Struggle is normal: There's a good saying out there that if it wasn't difficult, it wouldn't be worth it. That's true. There is a "struggle" in most everything we do, from changing the oil in the car to finishing a marathon. But here's the shocker: it's normal and it's part of life. In I Peter 4:12-13 it says, "dear friends, don't be bewildered or surprised when you go through the fiery trials ahead, for this is no strange, unusual thing that is going to happen to you. Instead, be really glad-because these trials will make you partners with Christ in his suffering, and afterwards you will have the wonderful joy of sharing his glory in that coming day when it will be displayed."

  2. Endurance requires focus: Here is where the 'clearly defined goals' part comes in. Focus is integral with achieving desired results. I mean, who wants to reach the big playoff game only to end up dropping the ball on a crucial play? We cannot lose sight of why we came, not for a moment. In Phillipians 3:12-16 we learn that focus is constantly required. (Vs 12) "but I keep working toward..." = focus. (vs 14) "strain to reach the end..." = again, focus. (Vs 16) "be sure to obey the truth we have already learned..." = once again, focus.

  3. Endurance means never give up: This is ultimately where an endurance-fueled goal supercedes a resolution any day. Nobody wants to be a quitter, right? When you allow yourself to set goals with a desire (not just a resolution) to actually see the results, it doesn't matter if the going gets tough -- 'cause the tough have endurance to get going. 2 Corinthians 4:8-9 says, "We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed and broken. We are perplexed, but we don't give up and quit. We are hunted down, but God never abandons us. We get knocked down, but we get up again and keep going." It's like that 80's song "Break My Stride" which goes something like, "ain't nothing gonna break my stride, nobody gonna slow me down, oh no, I got to keep on moving... " We need to keep moving, striving towards the goal, straining to reach the end of the race and receive the prize for which God is calling us for.

So, why have I decided to ditch the resolutions this year? Because I want something more substantial. I want to place my efforts, my endurance, into goals that touch not only my life but also those around me. I want to focus on decisions that go beyond the typical, that help to affirm Christ's position in my family.

A huge thanks to Pastor John for the message today. I really think I found some applications within my own life. Now, to the task of rewriting my resolutions to become goals of definition.

No comments: