18 October 2008

NYCM: #27079

NYRR has released the bib numbers for the participants... mine will be 27079. Besides being a runner's identity on the streets, these bib numbers play a more significant role on how a runner will be started the morning of Nov 2. The bib is color-coded (every color means something) and a person can tell a lot by just the colors of the bib background and number itself. To the left is how I imagine my bib to look look…we'll see if the actual one comes anywhere close to my imagination.

What does this bib mean? It signifies that:

  • Based on the orange main bib color...My staging area on Staten Island before the race will be Grete Waitz Village. This is considered the second "village" that you'll get to once the bus drops us off. It doesn't appear to be the largest of the villages (blue, or Alberto Salazar Village, seems to be the biggest), but I'm sure it will still be as crowded. Here, I plan to relax and stretch as much as possible before the race begins. Also, I will be have the exciting opportunity to start my journey by running across the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge on the upper (scenic) deck, rather than on the below deck. Of course, there are advantages and disadvantages to this. Running on top means I will tackle a strong incline and decline (the first 2K of the bridge itself), rather than the more subtle elevation change found while running the lower portion. However, I hear runners on the bottom often contend with sprinkle storms from runners above as they relieve themselves while on the bridge. That aside, be sure to keep your eagle eyes out for me when the TV crews film the start!

  • Based on the yellow background (floodcoat) color behind my number...I will be assigned to the Wave 2 Orange Start commencing at 10:00 a.m. Instead of releasing a mass start of approximately 40,000 runners at one time, the field will be organized into three separate starts (or “waves”) released at 20-minute intervals. The first wave (white) will start at 9:40 a.m., the second wave (yellow) will start at 10:00 a.m., and the third wave (blue) will start at 10:20 a.m. Each wave will include approximately 13,000 runners. [Note to self: Wow, this IS bigger than the Des Moines Marathon…uff-da.]

  • Based on the actual bib number of #27079...I will be participating in the third block of runners of Wave 2, otherwise known as "C" Corral. This letter will be prominently displayed on the righthand portion of the bib. Virtually, I know nothing about the "corral" system other than I believe these help situate runners according to their approximate finisher times (see the official start corral chart). That way, faster runners at the beginning of the race won't need to furiously weave between those of us who aren't super-human powered. So, I guess "C" means I'm an average superhuman?

  • I will be checking my pre-race runner baggage with UPS truck #27. Trucks are apparently sorted in increments of 1,000 according to bib numbers. I'll hazard a guess it will be this same truck I will be searching for at the end.

  • The bib number also means that when I finish the race I will be exiting Central Park at the second runner exit of 81st Street. This will route me directly onto Central Park West where I can then meet up with my family & friends post-race.


    pre-race

    race start

    post-race


    Only 14 days left!!

  • No comments: