30 October 2008

My Bags Are Packed…Let's Roll!

As you can see, my marathon bags are nearly packed and ready to go. I have yet to throw in a couple of items before they are complete, primarily our flight & hotel itinerary and my shaving kit, though I will likely perform a hasty, last-minute final check before heading out to the airport early tomorrow morning. And I do mean, early...as in our flight to NYC leaves at 5:00am? Big ole yawn.

Through my calm exterior I can tell the realization is beginning to sink in that, in just a little over two days, I will be running with a world-record crowd of nearly 40,000 other runners as we elbow our way from the Verrazano Bridge start on Staten Island, all the way to Central Park finish in downtown Manhattan. For 26.2 miles I will be experiencing firsthand the thrill this grand and majestic race, as it weaves us over five landmark bridges and through five historic city boroughs. I know my anxiety level will be high the morning of the race, as expected, but I'm hoping the three or so hours I will spend at Fort Wadsworth waiting for the marathon to begin will provide me a chance to relax and some time to reflect on what it took to get me to this moment.

From several sources, including Weather.com web site, all signs are pointing towards wonderful weather for the race on Sunday. Lows in the upper 30s, highs in the upper 40s to lower 50s, with light winds and a mostly sunny sky. Perfect, as most marathoners would say, for running fast times.

One of my hopes during the marathon is to see my lovely wife, and our friends who will make the journey with us, sometime during and just after the race. Their plan is to find me just after the 16-mile mark of the race, as I cross over the Queensboro Bridge from Queens and head north on First Avenue towards the Bronx. I know this point in the race will possibly be a crucial time for me to just recognize a familiar face in the crowd, as the race begins taking runners into its final miles. Though I have run and finished many marathons over the years, I know that finishing the final 6-10 miles are always the toughest for a runner. And New York City won't be any different, as I've been told that the course gets challenging as it winds it way over the final couple bridges and, lastly, through the hills of Central Park. Then our final challenge will be to find each other in the throngs of the over 1 million well-wishing spectators. Fortunately, the 1-2 mile post-race walk will give my legs a chance to stretch out some, but I know it will be great when I finally see her.

Personally, I don't know what finish time I'll receive -- there are so many factors involved with running the New York City Marathon for the first time -- but my goal is to finish close to around the 4-hour mark as possible. Of course finishing in under four hours for my inaugural NYCM would be wonderful and all, but I'll take whatever is given me. I'll just hope and pray I will do my best. Honestly, I want only to finish knowing that I have given it my all and have "run with endurance the race that is set before me (Hebrews 12:1).” To hopefully have a wonderful experience of the marathon, and of siteseeing in New York City, while sharing it all with my wife. That would make this trip the best.

Before leaving, I would like to thank all the family and friends who have or will support me this weekend. I really appreciate you all being there for me and this crazy endeavor. You all make it worth while.

So, the question is...am I ready? Ready to run with this insane amount of runners? Oh man, you bet!

I'll see you all when I get back on Tuesday.

Now, let's roll...

5 comments:

Topher said...

I've been reading all your posts and getting so excited for you. Should be a great day for a "jog." I know you'll have a great time and run a fantastic race. Enjoy the time with your wife, most importantly!

Jon said...

Have a great time. If you don't finish first, don't come back ...
Hope it all goes well!

Mike said...

Thanks, Topher. I'll find a Dunkin Donuts in Midtown and have a jelly in honor of you. :)

Mike said...

Jon - Your sentiment makes me strive to run faster. See ya when I get back!

Kent said...

Good luck Mike, and I am sure you'll have a great time!