19 October 2008

Race Report: Des Moines Half Marathon

Race: Des Moines Half-Marathon
Distance: 13.1 miles
Official Time: 1:50:43
Pace/Mile: 8:26

There's nothing like waking up race morning to a nice, cool 48° outside, partly cloudy skies, and a slight wind. What better conditions to set a new half-marathon PR with? That I did.

With only two weeks until my planned trip to New York City for the marathon debut of my life, I originally decided today would be treated like a training day. A nice and easy 13.1 miles on a spectacular course, with very few ups and downs along the way. But all that went out the window when I realized the prime conditions we'd been given this race morning. Suddenly, I found myself dreaming of new splits and a myriad of ways to increase and maintain my pace...oh, that elusive sub-1:50 would soon be mine. Heck, maybe I'd take off the kid-gloves and do some serious swinging towards a 1:45...

Toeing the line (okay, officially I was more like a full 100ft back), I eyed the competitors in my immediate vicinity and braced myself for the start that would inevitably unleash the furious nature that I surely had inside... ready, GO!

Moments later, unfortunately I quickly learned the "furious" nature from within had apparently decided to sleep in. That long training run on Friday suddenly reminded me that my legs were still a tad tired, and contending with slightly warmer starting temps than I'd expected, I decided it might be better to conserve a little energy and play it safe. Nestled in a crowd of a few thousand of my closest running friends, I began calculating an 8:10-8:15 pace that would give me a chance at breaking the 1:50 barrier.

Though the crowds were a little thicker than my experience from previous DSM marathons past, it did make for finding other like-minded runners of the same pace much easier. Settling in behind a few guys who were talking of BQ dreams, the first few miles of the course soon flew by, taking us from one end of downtown to the other, past the half and full-marathon split, then down onto Fleur Drive. My pace during this time fluctuated only slightly per mile, primarily due to the crowds.

Turning off of Fleur Drive, racers then entered the Water Works Park area south of the downtown area. Here, the next five miles would take us through the beautifully wooded roadways and past a long stretch of the Raccoon River. This is a particular favorite area of mine, and I often spend my lunch hour on training runs there. The park road is bounded by George Flagg Parkway, making it a great place for spectators to get close to the action without having to walk far. Shortly past the 5.5 mile mark, I encountered my kids doing their best to enthusiastically high-five every runner they could. Both they and my wife gave me big hugs, then cheered me on as I pulled away to begin the large loop portion at the back of the park. Miles 6-8 clicked off rather quickly, and soon I found myself reapproaching Fleur Drive.

Crossing over the roadway we next entered Grays Lake Park, widely considered the “Place to Meet” in the Des Moines Metro area. The centerpiece of the park’s renewal plan is the two-mile trail encircling the lake, also a runner favorite. Here I felt my pace beginning to lapse somewhat, my mile average dropping to roughly 8:30 or so. I could tell I was feeling tired, but I also knew I needed to keep going if I wanted to stay close to my 1:50 goal.

Rounding the lake, we began the push up the bike trail, over the MLK Jr. Parkway bridge and onto the final stretch. Mile 12 came up quickly, and I noticed my watch reading 1:41...this would be cutting it close. I picked up the speed as much as I could and followed the course as it turned north towards the downtown finish line area. You could hear the crowds during this final half-mile, and along with Laura and the kids about a hundred yards from the line, they carried me my final steps.

Though I missed my sub-1:50 goal by only mere seconds, I'll admit I am still happy to be bettering my PR by close to two minutes.

For those of you who have not had the pleasure of running the Des Moines Marathon or Half-Marathon, I seriously suggest you check it out. It is well-known for it's beautiful course and plenty of friendly spectators. Definitely, a "must do" if you live in the Midwest.

Finally, a guick shout out to my family for their support and encouragement today...without you my racing would never be as special you make it for me.

2 comments:

Kent said...

Very nice race. Yeah, I know all too well what it means to miss one's time by seconds, but you ran a great race. You left fuel in the tank for 2 weeks from now, and you are in taper mode after all. Next time...

Just ditto to everything you said about the course. It is a great course and so well organized race. It is a pleasure to be a part of it whether as a volunteer, pacer, or as a runner. I am already looking forward to next year and trying to decide for a new HM PR or try my hand at pacing again.

Unknown said...

Saaaaahhhhhweeeett !!! I guess the weather was a big help. You really kick ass this time. Hat off to you for that great time and pace.