28 June 2008

Primal Quest 2008

You've probably heard me mention my passion for adventure racing. I've probably raced in over 15 events throughout the midwest region...from the Nebraska plains to the Minnesota deep backwoods, Indiana's expansive river systems to the long and lonely Missouri Ozarks. The IA Games event we raced earlier this month, though small as it was, just continues to keep that passion for adventure alive in me. And if I have it my way, I'll be running AND adventure racing far into my later years. Truth be told, I have some hopes of resurrecting again the SOAR Challenge race I co-directed in central Iowa next year if all goes well.

Another reason I keep this passion stoked is that someday I honestly hope to race in the grandaddy of all adventure races...Primal Quest. This is a 10-day event that tests more than just skills and endurance, but also determination and the will to survive. Teams will be pitted against every imaginable discipline the race directors can dream up while racing against the clock, other teams, and the forces of nature, in order to trek, climb, kayak, raft, mountain bike, navigate, etc. to successfully reach the finish line.

Primal Quest 2008 racers are battling the elements at this very moment, deep in the roughest country Montana can serve up. One of the most famous teams, Team Merrell/Zanfel Adventure, is currently in 2nd place trying for their first win over the winningest team in professional adventure racing, Team Nike. I had the pleasure of meeting and racing against Robyn Benincasa, captain of Team Merrell, at the 2007 IA Games Adventure Race where she fielded a team of novices and enjoyed teaching us a thing or two along the course (aka: kicking our butts).

For just a slight taste of what these PQ2008 teams are experiencing at this very moment in Montana, now a week into the event and racing with serious sleep deprivation - though the top team is likely to finish the 500-mile event sometime Saturday night, check out this amazing video below:



Update 6/29, 12:15pm: Team Merrell/Zanfel Adventure has claimed second place in the 2008 Primal Quest Expedition Adventure Race after 6 days, 2 hours, and 10 minutes of racing...way to go Robyn & company!!

No comments: