27 June 2008

Race Report: Grandmas Marathon

Race: Grandmas Marathon
Date: June 21, 2008
Location: Duluth, MN
Official Time: 4:54:06
Pace/Mile: 11:12

We're finally back from a very relaxing vacation in the northwoods...a much needed respite from all the rain and flooding concerns we've been accustomed to over the past few weeks. Fortunate for me, my basement remained dry during my absence and I was able to spend my focus on camping with the family, as well as a little running.

This past weekend marked my 15th Grandmas Marathon - an all-time race favorite of mine for well over two decades now. It seems, I just can't resist the scenic course as it winds down along the shores of Lake Superior from Two Harbors to Canal Park in Duluth. It's a race that has grown immensely in the past few years, likely due to the heavenly location and hoards of enthusiastic spectators. Our family has created a nice little tradition of heading up a day or two before the big event, then spend a few days after camping and exploring along the northshore. Of course, having family and friends along for the ride is an additional pleasure, enjoying s'mores around a late night campfire and experiencing the outdoor splendor together. And, also fortunate for me, they happen to be the best chase group a runner could ever hope to have.

This year's Grandmas Marathon happened to be one for the record books. A total of 9,888 entries, 7,103 starters and 6,759 timed finishers. Wow, that's a lot of runners. I really need to begin putting that into perspective, because soon I'll be swimming in deeper waters when the New York Marathon comes around in later fall. Still, it's a sight to see on a normally quiet stretch of lakeshore drive at 7:00AM in the morning. And as my dad once put it, it's "a sea of humanity to behold".

We arrived around mid-afternoon on Thursday at our designated camping spot in Jay Cooke State Park, a few scant miles outside of Carlton, MN, where we set up our campers. This area just 20 miles southwest of Duluth happens to be one of the most beautiful parks in the region, with miles of hiking trails and the St. Louis River running through it all. It also happens to be where I graduated from many long years ago, so I was already familiar with the area and able to take the family on a few adventurous excursions off the beaten path. One of these being a trip to the secret beach just past the old trail-trestle bridge bikepath crossing, where you can find ample amounts of agates and loads of flat stones. I'm guessing we spent nearly an hour just skipping rocks over the river with the kids one morning. (Shhhhh...don't tell anyone I told you.)

The next morning, after a hearty campfire breakfast of eggs, bacon, pancakes, hashbrowns, skillet biscuits, etc. (need I go on?), we headed over to the DECC center in Duluth to pick up the customary race packet and wander the expo. However, upon arriving I happened to do one of the dumbest things ever while vacationing...that is, locking your keys in the car. I really don't know yet how I did it, except that I was removing unnecessary keys to lessen the clutter in my pockets and accidentally switched the sets in my hand. The set I threw into the console happened to be minivan key. I think I realized it the moment I shut the door, to which I let out a gigantic sigh in disbelief. A blessing for us, some wonderful volunteers at the expo info booth knew of a local locksmith, and within 20 minutes the key was back in my hands and we were inside cruising the crowds…$40 dollars less to spend. Unbelievable.

After spending way too much time walking the expo, we headed outside where we signed the children up for the annual Whipper Snapper Races for kids. That was a blast! Each child received a race number and a finisher ribbon for their efforts. I even broke down and bought them each their own official shirts to commemorate the fun event.

After our trip into Duluth, we traveled back to Cloquet and enjoyed a tasty pre-race pasta meal consisting of lasagna and pizza at the local Sammy's Pizza. For the past few years, this has become our carbo loading hangout-of-choice, with more than enough choices for everyone in the group. It's really a diamond in the rough...check it out if you ever have the chance. Happily, we also were able to dine with a couple of friends who lived in the area and enjoyed good conversation for a couple hours. Later that night after returning to our camp, we roasted a fair share of s'mores around the fire and soon turned in for about 5-6 hours of sleep before our early morning 5AM wake up alarm sounded.

And race morning came early indeed. My wife and I quickly set about busily packing the van with our race support materials (which consisted of bananas, orange slices, gatorades, sunscreen and Endurolytes) and sleepy-eyed children. After dropping off an extra family vehicle at the DECC center where the race would eventually end at, we combined forces for the remaining drive up the Hwy 61 bypass to the North Shore Road starting area just south of Two Harbors where a huge mass of racers and spectators waited. After taking my time stretching out with the kids and getting a round of good luck hugs from all, I trotted off to squeeze myself into the starting chute just minutes before the race was to commence. Packed together like sardines with thousands of other runners, we spent a brief moment of silence to honor last year's champion, Wesly Ngetich, who recently had been fatally shot due to ethnic disputes in his native African homeland. After the tribute, we pressed forward in anticipation like waddling penguins as we listened to the all-too-familiar strains of "Chariots of Fire" float across the loudspeakers, signaling the countdown to the start of the race. Moments later, the gun sounded and we were off.

Well, sort of. By my watch it took me over a full four minutes just to cross the official starting line from where I had been standing. That's a lot of people on a roadway only 25 feet wide! Starting the timer on my watch, I settled in for a good pace and began my mental calculations for time splits and possible hydration stops. However, as I look back now, I think I may have started off strong. Too strong. One of the cardinal rules of running a marathon is to hold back just enough during the first half so you'll have enough to hopefully match your pace during the latter half. Unfortunately for many runners, including me, the weather was a bit too warm to notice until further on. Coupled with the unusual humidity, this race was going to be different than the cooler races in years past.

By the time we ran through Knife River Harbor past the five-mile mark, where my posse greeted me with my prescribed dose of Endurolytes, the effects of the heat were already beginning to show. Though I still held a smile, my normally sufficient pace of ~9:00 per mile was slowly beginning to erode away. Though the starting temp had to be in the higher 60's, much of the initial course is far from the shores of the lake with no winds to speak of. Rather, the trees on either side of the roadway act more like a barrier and trap much of the rising morning heat. Add to that the rains we had experienced the past couple of days leading up to the race, it was starting to feel like a pressure cooker. And I could tell a majority of the runners were beginning to feel it as well, as racers began hugging the left portion of the roadway where shade from the trees was still available. I decided to slow it down a couple of notches, to lessen the chance of hydration and possible cramping later.

Miles 6-12 were relatively uneventful, except for the high-five I got from Al Franken along the course, and spent just shadowing any available runners who approximated the pace I was feeling most comfortable with. But by the time I reached the halfway point (13.1 miles) and saw my support crew, I had slowed down to around 10:30 per mile...well less than I had anticipated. Re-assessing the conditions and my pace, I knew my shot at a finishing time of sub-4:15 was just not to be had this day around. Instead, I set a new goal of 4:30-4:45 in order to allow myself a bit of leeway for additional water breaks and an occasional fast-walk.

Around mile 18, we emerged from the scenic North Shore Drive near Lester Park and transitioned onto London Road. My crew met me shortly after with a ziplock full of the most tasty orange slices this side of heaven, definitely one of those must-haves in the later stages of any marathon...man, those guys are great! Then, tanking up on water and Ultima drink, I headed off towards the finish line only a 10K away.

I felt the tightening in my calves a mile or so later at mile 21. At this point I knew I'd be glad to finish with anything under 5:00 and shifted my goal to "just finishing". With Lemon Drop Hill looming before me at mile 22, I scrapped conservatism and made it a point to run the entire length up, passing a rather large majority of walking runners. However, my calves thanked me for it by persuading me to back off for a block or so at the top. Oh well, at least I hadn't let the infamous hill beat me. Now, on to the finish.

Following London Road up onto Superior Street, we began the final leg through the downtown streets of Duluth. Here, the crowds lined the streets for blocks, and the cheering from the crowds of onlookers was close to deafening. It's one of the best reasons while I love Grandmas Marathon so much. Passing the 25 mile mark, we turned left for a short downhill trip around the DECC center and along the harbor edge. Summoning the last of my reserves, I changed from the shuffle-run I'd been using to keep my stiff and sore muscles from barking too loudly to a semi-respectable stride rate for the final few hundred meters...and came across the finish line at 4:54:06.

Just past the finish line, I found my wife yelling estatically from over the crowd control fence and gave her a big hug and kiss. Grabbing my finisher medal, as well some orange juice for replenishment and snack items galore, I met up with my family by the Marine Museum where I gladly rested my weary feet and shared my vast goodies with the kids.

While I didn’t beat my goal time, I am pleased with the overall result. Finishing has always my key goal. Knowing when to back off and refocus your efforts just to save your race is something I learned many a race ago. And while a sub 4:15 would have been nice (heck, I would have loved a sub 4:00), the course conditions eventually took their toll on a majority of us runners that day. But it was still a beautiful day, even if I hobbled a little back to the car.

Next long-distance race up...New York Marathon!

1 comment:

Kent said...

Way to run a smart race in certainly less than ideal conditions. Some days you just have to appreciate the blessing you have been given, and beng able to run with thousands of like-minded folks and initials plans be thrown out. Nice finish!