10 July 2008

I Can

For some, generating the motivation to run can be a daily exercise in itself. I certainly know I am not immune to it. Oh sure, there are days when I do get out the door and find the pleasure, or even sanctuary, in locating that relaxing pace along some tree-lined street or open country road. But there are also the days that don't come so easily. When I have to coax myself to pick up that workout bag, or push myself to get up that hill I'd run without thought only the day before. In simpler words, there are days when I feel...I can't.

Patti Sue Plumer, a U.S. Olympian, once said, "Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." I share that mindset in many ways. I understand that my decision to run come often times without thought, for it's better to visualize yourself already doing it rather than not. Letting myself ponder about the action too long only gives rise to inaction...funny how works, huh? But even though I go through the motions of just doing it myself, I still have those self-doubts once in a while. Thoughts will begin to creep up... Will I run the pace I'd been hoping for? Can I go the distance in my long training run? Will I be prepared enough for that marathon coming up soon?

Inspiration is said to be the catalyst of action, or an influence that motivates that which needs motivation. Basically, it's about being lit by a fire within that sometimes feels like it can burn forever.

Inspiration is unique, in that it propels us to heights we'd never known, and gives us strength beyond the weaknesses we find that hold us down. It can push us up the biggest hills we thought were too high, and empower us to go the distance we thought was too far. It gives us that extraordinary ability to turn our can'ts...into can's.


No comments: