01 July 2008

Things Are Heating Up

I think I'm finally getting jazzed about running, just as the summer progresses to literally heat up. I went out for my noon lunch run today and delighted as I charged a difficult 5-mile hilly course south of Grand Avenue in the sweltering sun. Maybe it's because I feel recharged and refreshed from my recent Minnesota vacation? Or then again, could it be I'm just a glutton for running in the heat? I dunno, both maybe.

Though I suppose it's been a while since we've had some hot days around here, I am really beginning to like their reemergence. But truthfully, I secretly enjoy the way the summer heat always makes my runs feel so much more challenging and rewarding. Is that abnormal? By all standards, by this time each year typically we're having daily high temps in the upper 80s and 90s, with constant high humidity. But, with all the weather patterns (not to mention the overly-sufficient amounts of rain) in the Midwest, our hot weather has been pushed back it a month or so it seems. Listening to the local weatherman, this past June I hear we'd only had one day in the 90s (92° to be exact) in Iowa so far this year, with a whole plethora of days in the 70s and low 80s...kinda odd for us.

Back to the main reason I say I'm getting jazzed at the higher temps...it's because this sort of weather actually improves my training. Just last week, I stepped out onto my back patio one night and remarked to my wife at how chilly the air seemed to be -- I mean you could actually see your breath -- something I'd expect in Minnesota, but here in Iowa? I'll admit the cooler weather has nice and all, but it's made preparing for summer races a bit more difficult lately. You see, running in these types of situations allow for me to adapt to the conditions found in many of my summer racing events...from the 5K on up to the marathon distance, especially the diverse nature of adventure racing. This improved tolerance to exercise in heat is known as heat acclimatization.

By nature of integrating my daily training with heat acclimatization (aka: running in the heat of the day), I've found I am much better able to reduce overall strain (example: heart rate and core body temperature), improve human circulatory and physical capability, promote thermoregulation, and generate an earlier and greater sweat ratio response within a race. Alright, that was a lot of physiological talk there...let's just say it makes things a whole lot easier when things are getting hotter, okay?

Many a hot summer day you'll find me running the maze of backroads amongst the cornfields in my area...sweating like crazy, and loving every moment. I suppose the only reason I keep doing this is because the physical and psychological advantages it provides me as an endurance sports enthusiast. The importance of this adapted ability is said to be that it not only provides considerable protection from heat-related injury, but in competition in the heat, heat-acclimatized athletes will generally have the edge over their equally fit by unacclimatized opponents. Hmmm...enough said.

Now, I'm not saying this type of acclimatization comes easily, nor is it for every runner out there. This sort of training takes persistence and, above all, patience…the last thing you want to do is go gung-ho training or racing in the middle of the day while the heat index is near a record high. I tried that once last year during the IA Games Adventure Race (hottest day of the year) and learned there is a profound limit to such an advantage. Easing yourself into this type of training will take time. Generally, a standard of roughly 2-4 weeks of daily heat exposure combined with cardio exercise requiring endurance is needed to induce heat acclimatization, though it may take a bit longer depending on your body and the type and intensity of exercise.

Overall, if you actively participate, or are considering participating in heat acclimatization, you need to remember that acclimatizing can be tough on your body. Doing so exacerbates both overheating and dehydration, so it's important to take proper precautions when running in the heat:
  • Start slowly by reducing training intensity and duration (compared to what you could achieve in temperate climates.)

  • Increase your training and heat exposure volume as your heat tolerance permits.

  • Use interval training to modify your training levels.

  • Most importantly, be sure to consume sufficient water and electrolytes to replace the amounts lost during sweat loss. Heat acclimatization increases the sweat rate, and therefore increases water requirements, so dehydration is a real concern. Dehydration will quickly negate many of the advantages granted by acclimatizing.
However you decide to tackle the summer heat while training or racing, just remember to be careful out there. Running in hot weather conditions can be hazardous at times, so use common sense whenever possible. Run long and run safe.

No comments: