03 July 2008

If This Shirt Could Talk

The theme over at the Runners Lounge today is "That's a great running t-shirt!" Though my shirt isn't one I wear often (I suppose I'm just too afraid of ruining it, plus they don't sell replacements any longer), it is from the one race that I feel I have definitely learned the most from. It comes from the first race I ever ran...Grandmas Marathon on June 20, 1987.

Now, lest you think I was born to run, I have to differ. I didn't actually begin running until high school, and that was only for our smalltown track team. Sure it was running, but it wasn't really running. However, something stirred in me my junior year as my family and I watched the runners go by on the streets of Duluth during Grandmas Marathon in 1986. Something about the look of perseverence and accomplishment. Little did I know, it would spur me to run the very first road race of my life a year later. And that initial event would be an exhilarating and inspiring ride which would eventually capture my heart and change the way I look at running forever.

My shirt rests in a box now, carefully folded and placed away with various other race t-shirts, bib numbers, and finisher medals. Although it's faded and worn, the stains from when I hadn't treated it so fondly yet apparent, it still carries with it many memories. Oh the lessons I have learned since that initial race; how much wiser I know I've become. Unknowing at the time that it would be the catalyst to 19 more marathons, a dozen adventure races, 2 triathlons, a handful of orienteering and mountain bike races, and a smattering of uniquely challenging road races...over 70 races in all through the coming years.

If it hadn't been for this one shirt, who knows...I may never have embarked on some of my life's greatest journeys.

I may not wear this shirt anymore, but I know for me it still holds the continual promise of a life now changed. A life full of challenge and adventure, of confidence and faith. And that no matter what life may serve me, I know in my heart my running will always be an integral part of it.

3 comments:

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

Hi Mike,

Nice to see you and I really enjoyed the post. In fact, the title and then the content made me wonder if this should be a more regular feature of , "if this shirt could talk..." Hum, something to think about.

Have a great 4th!

Amy

Mike said...

That's an neat idea...I'm sure there are many runners out there with shirts that could tell stories.

Have a great holiday!

Lauren @ mostly i run said...

Wow, your first road race was a marathon! You should frame that shirt!