07 July 2008

Monday Run-Down

I hope everyone had a great fourth of July holiday weekend! Here's what happening in my neck of the woods...










  • I spent the evening climbing with a few friends over at Wall-nut Creek tonight. It's a full-fledged climbing gym situated in an old converted barn near Ames, IA (see pic above)...quite a unique place. We practiced proper techniques and belay safety to be better prepared for our rock climbing trip to Colorado next month.

  • We camped over the long weekend at Lake Red Rock nearby and really enjoyed ourselves. The weather was quite cooperative, for the most part, and our entire family member entourage had a great time watching the local parade and fireworks celebrations. A couple of friends who happened to be in town, and who will be joining Laura and I for the marathon trip to NYC in November, also dropped by the campsite for a nice visit.

  • Hannah, my sage little 5-year-old, begins year-round kindergarten later this week. Although it seems a little unreal that she is actually starting school, I have no doubts she will adapt to her new schedule and enjoy it immensely. I just have to say that I am so very proud of her and of the beautiful young lady God is developing her into.

  • Did I mention I have a cold? Well, I do. Of all things to pick up during camping this past weekend. I went for a quick run today, hoping to somehow burn off the cruddiness I've been feeling, but halfway through my hilly cemetery run I had to concede and scale my session back to a run/walk. I know I'll feel better in a day or two, but I'm kinda anxious about the 16-week NYC training schedule I'm preparing for right now.

No comments: