05 November 2008

Our NYC Trip

Well, we're back from New York City! Though we had an incredible time siteseeing in the city that obviously never sleeps, we are happy to be home with the kids, our slower Midwestern traffic, and less noise. Yeah, I know a person becomes accustomed to the noise levels from the persistent street and pedestrian traffic, but we like our quiet here at home. Sure makes sleeping a whole lot easier. {grin}

Our flight lifted off at 5:00 a.m. on Friday morning, with a quick stop in Minneapolis to change planes and pick up another travel companion. When we finally touched down in at the Newark Airport in New Jersey, it was about noon. Grabbing a hotel shuttle to Midtown East, we arrived at our hotel before our room was ready. We quickly checked our baggage and found the local charter bus that would transport us to the Javits Center for the ING New York City Marathon expo, where I was supposed to pick up my race packet. The actual check-in process was rather speedy, all of 10-15 minutes total I suppose, but the walk through the official marathon merchandise and vendor sections was clogged beyond imagination. Fortunately, I was able to snag a few articles of apparel (a LS half-zip running shirt, a running vest, etc.) that could remind me of the trip later and located a fast moving checkout lane. Additionally, I was able to have an Asics poster signed by Brian Sell (who took 3rd at the 2008 Olympic Marathon Trials), which was a pleasant surprise.

Saturday was filled with basic NYC siteseeing...a trip to the top of the Empire State Building, views of Wall Street and the WTC site, Times Square, Central Park, and most everything inbetween. Though I had visited earlier in the year for a work-related conference, it was still exciting to re-experience many of these again, especially with Laura. In fact, she fulfilled one of her lifelong wishes of riding the Central Park Carousel...that was fun.

Later that evening, we headed over to the Team World Vision pasta dinner at Dean's, just a block over from our hotel. When we arrived, we were ushered upstairs where we met and chatted with a dozen other team runners just like myself. Then we sat down for a wonderful dinner served family-style, with heaping bowls of various pasta and chicken creations, as well as authentic brick oven pizza, all very yummy. And just as I was stuffing my face with some tasty Rigatoni Mezza Calabra, who should walk in on the party? Ryan and Sara Hall, our charity team captains. Ryan happens to be the 2008 Olympic Marathon Trials champion at NYC last fall, surprising most everyone with a very consistent and even effort. What is exciting for me is his outspoken faith in the sport of running. They both greeted each of us and made small talk, before also sitting down to share in our meal. What an incredible night!

Leaving the restaurant, we headed back to the hotel so I could prepare my things for the race the next morning. I carefully pinned my race number bib (#27079), as well an additional smaller sign above with "My 1st NYCM - MIKE", to the front of my Team World Vision jersey, then made sure to attach the official timing chip to the laces of one of my running shoes. I also put together a few things that I would be taking with me for the long, pre-race wait the next morning, including extra clothing, my camera, food stuffs, and a newspaper for reading material. Carefully setting everything near the door where I could easily find it without waking everyone, and checking to be sure my alarms were set, I got ready for bed and turned off the light. It was about 10:30 p.m - only six hours until my race day would begin!

Next up, my NYC Marathon race report and photos as I work my way through the five boroughs of New York and 26.2 miles...

No comments: