30 March 2008

"Run, Fat Boy, Run"

Okay, I'll admit. The title alone made me sit up straight in the theater a few weeks ago and take keen notice. I mean, why wouldn't any movie preview with the word "run" in it's title not entice the typical runner? But, of course, from what we could immediately tell, this wasn't going to be the typical runner movie. Still, I made it a point to see it last night.

"Run, Fat Boy, Run" is a movie about Dennis, a commitment-phobe who leaves his pregnant bride at the altar literally running down the street to get away. We cut to five years later and he's still running, but this time running after shoplifters as a low level security guard for a women's clothing store. He still pines for his ex and longs to be more of a hero to his son, but that is increasingly difficult as she has taken up with Whit (Hank Azaria) ... a well-to-do, muscular, all too perfect suitor who runs marathons. “Why would you want to do a thing like that?” is Dennis' reaction to that last bit.

Already consumed with remorse and now faced with losing Libby for good, Dennis has to prove something to her, to himself and to that wiener. It's something about responsibility and finishing things. And what better way to prove to Libby that he can get his life together - than by running in the local London marathon - the same race Libby's new beau is training for. But his noble ambitions to run 26.2 miles are obviously offset by his drawbacks ... such as, he smokes, he drinks, he’s out of shape, he’s lazy, he’s immature, etc. Predictably, a spirit of competition begins between Dennis and Whit, and soon enough, Dennis is attempting to beat Whit at his own game: running. What follows is a slapstick plot filled with training montages and the shopworn story of a schlub trying to fix his life by proving himself in a sporting event ... in this case, the marathon.

In spite of the wacky physical humor found in the training scenes and the cliche English comedy as Dennis stumbles through mile upon mile of the marathon trying to right the wrongs he once set, I felt it was extremely likable and a touch heartwarming by film's end.

You're likely wondering how such a lark of a movie, which hasn't seen many favorable reviews as yet, could possibly provide any meaningful metaphors for life. I suppose much of its impact comes from its images of Dennis running and its conviction that there’s a difference between running toward something and running away. It goes to show us that to achieve takes determination, takes drive. Moreover, it shows us that there is a lot of truth to getting your life together through the use of running. That the pain and fatigue you endure is worth the eventual goal.

More than likely, I'm just like other runners who like to watch movies about things I enjoy doing. Besides, it's hard to pass up a movie about a runner. And tiny running shorts on a dude are the comedy gift that keeps on giving.


3 comments:

Bob A said...

I watched the trailer -- my wife listened and said I should leave her behind when I go watch it. NPR reviewed the movie and didn't have much good to say about it. But, your review has me interested. Thanks.

Mike said...

Now don't give me too much credit, yet. I thought Dodgeball was a hilarious movie. Go figure.

The Laminator said...

No, mike. I think I trust your review more than any 'critic'. Besides, I think you can always find something worthwhile you can take to the road with you in any movie that has the word 'Run' in it.