24 March 2008

Some Exciting News!












Alright, I have some exciting news to share with everyone. I learned something completely amazing today that I've been waiting months hoping to find out. Do you see that picture above? That's the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge in New York City. What's so exciting about that, you ask? Well, that's where I'll be this fall ... when I AM OFFICIALLY RUNNING THE NEW YORK MARATHON!!!

Yep, I learned this great news this morning. I've been told I am officially being accepted as a sponsored runner for the 2008 ING NYC Marathon to be held November 2. Through the tireless efforts of a friend of mine who works at ING, what began as a relatively unobtainable stretch goal for 2008 has, unbelieveably, become a reality. (Thanks for all your help, Tina!! And thank you ING for making a dream of mine come true!)

Honestly, I suppose I can say it is to me one of the most exciting moments of my racing career. If everything works out, this will become a very special 20th marathon for me. I just cannot believe I will be racing with 38,000 other runners through the streets of New York in just a little over seven months time ... that is an incredible thought to imagine. Especially since I've never been to New York before in my life, nor have I raced outside of the Midwest region ever. Talk about setting some firsts for my life this year.

It's so exciting, I have goose-pimples ... and my goose-pimples have their own goose-pimples! Someone pinch me ... but wait, if this isn't true, could you please NOT wake me up? Just let me continue my slumber with this wonderful dream I'm in, thank you very much.

Though I've been steadily ramping up my spring training already, I see I have a lot of planning yet to do. Guess I'd better cue up "Eye Of The Tiger" on my iPod for tomorrow's run ... I have some serious running to do.

"Start spreading the news, I'm leaving today ... I want to be a part of it ... New York, New York ... "

5 comments:

The Laminator said...

Wow, Mike, congratulations. That is very awesome, awesome news. You'll love it...it is a very amazing race, truly, especially if you've never been to the big apple (although i know i'm biased because I live here!) If you want a preview of what to expect, go check out my race report from last year's race in the archives...it's a 4-parter so leave yourself some time.

And feel free to ask any questions you might have about the race...i've ran it twice before, and probably going to run it again this year. I'm so so excited for you. Congratulations!

Nancy said...

Oh Wow, that's fantastic!! 20th marathon?? No wonder I always learn something from your posts.

That's so exciting!! Congrats...

Bob A said...

Congrats on getting into the NYC Marathon. And, 20 marathons ain't nuttin' to sneeze at.

Mike said...

Lam - I do have a few questions for you, particularly concerning running in Central Park. I will be attending a conference in NYC this next month and would like the chance to tackle the park while I have the chance. But, this being my first time to New York and all, I have no idea of what times or trails/roads are best for my intended effort. Send me an email via my profile if you get the chance ~ thanks!

Tina Griffin said...

Mike - the Griffin's are so very proud of you! Your perseverance and drive got you here! The door may have opened for you but you were the one who knocked!

BTW....Sami thinks you are going to be in the top 10 - how's that for a challenge?