05 March 2008

Changing Perception

"Our lives are not determined by what happens to us but by how we react to what happens, not by what life brings to us, but by the attitude we bring to life. A positive attitude causes a chain reaction of positive thoughts, events, and outcomes. It is a catalyst, a spark that creates extraordinary results." - Anon

It's interesting how easily human perception can change. One moment you're focused on a singular point of view, and the next you feel you have completely opened your eyes anew. I find it an all too familiar component to the art of marathoning. Mental attitude is crucial for marathon running, and if you can cope with the stress of hitting the wall, you are more likely to endure the race and run to your full potential. Sure, you may be very fit, but if you are not psychologically prepared you may find the race overwhelming. The key to success seems to be linked to your expectation of performance or perception of outcome.

I've just come back from short, enjoyable vacation with my wife in southern Texas. We spent the past week with her grandparents who live in the South Padre Island region, leaving our two younger children to have a delightful time in the care of my parents. The weather was unbelievably beautiful, consistently subjecting us to sunny days and 85° temps with frequent warm southern winds that gently rocked the palm trees overhead. Each day was filled with some new experience or excursion, like leisurely walks along the coastal beach picking up multitudes of shells, wandering through endless outdoor food markets filled with the aromatic smells of fresh fruit and appetizing local specialties, an interesting exploration over the border into Mexico to learn the art of bartering in order to pick up a few genuine souvenirs, and enjoying tasty, authentic Mexican fried ice cream with my dreamy wife.

Up until lately, it seems my life has really felt like I've been running a marathon in all ways. Everything pulling me one way or another .. feeling my endurance getting low and my mental attitude slacking. Even my training has taken a bit of a drastic dive. And with each Midwestern storm the snow seemed to pile everything higher and higher.

I guess, in a way, to say this trip was relaxing is a bit of an understatement.

In Psalms 28:7, it says, "the Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him, and I am helped...my heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to Him in song. " So, God, I just wanted to give you thanks for changing my perception ... I needed that!










1 comment:

Bob A said...

Glad you were able to get a perception adjustment. Life can get overwhelming at times and it's essential to refocus on the truly important things -- relationship to God, family, "being" more than "doing".