15 May 2008

100th Blog:
Running For Something

Well, today marks my 100th blog post for the Pursuit of Runningness. It's rather funny...I suppose if you would have asked me a year ago what a blog was, I'm not quite sure I could have provided you with an accurate answer. However, since starting this blog last fall I've rapidly learned what this resource is and can do. The blog has allowed me a chance to connect with friends, family, and new running acquaintances, while also allowing me to provide some plausibly interesting and individualistic commentary on life's adventures...primarily through the focus of running and faith. And although I've occasionally found myself stumbling here and there (I'll plainly admit, my writing skills lack), I've come to realize now the outreach and influence that blogging is capable of. And I am ultimately thankful for the ability to have this freedom, not to mention the relationships it has generated.

However, today isn't about a bloggy, journalistic celebration. Because the blog will continue on, much like my running and my faith. Instead, this 100th post is devoted to a vision of combining these two in a more unique way. It's about running for something.

Up until recently, you couldn't have expected me to believe that I will be running in one of the grandest of all marathons to be held later this year...the ING New York Marathon. But what started as a improbable dream has become one of the truest of all running realities for me this spring. That's when I'd learned ING would be accepting me as a sponsored runner for their November event. Admittedly, it gave me more than just goosebumps…it made me realize how blessed I am to be able to run in something I'd always hoped for. To be honest, the ability to run this race has been a longtime dream-in-making for this aging runner. And I know it will be something I cherish for many years to come. But competing in an event of its magnitude has recently led me to consider the question...why me, why now?

I mean, I have been relatively happy running in the Midwest up until now. My typical marathon circuit has consisted of trading off between Grandmas Marathon in MN and the Des Moines Marathon in my hometown. So why do I feel as though everything has effortlessly worked out for me to go to this fall? For example, take the totally unexpected sponsored entry, the cheap airfare we found for my wife and I, the discounted hotel accomodations (cheap for NYC standards) just mere blocks away from where I'll catch a bus to the starting line, as well as my wife's unexpected but totally enthusiastic response of "we're going!" when it all started going down...it just all seems to be fitting some sort of a plan. And although it seems beyond my comprehension at times, I honestly feel God has had a purpose for my participation from the start. I know He wants to use this race for His good.

As you have seen more than once on my blog, I've been following Ryan Hall's story for quite some time now. Ryan is a very gifted athlete who won last fall's 2008 U.S. Olympic Team Trials Marathon and will be racing the men's marathon event at the Bejing Olympics this summer. He also happens to be a man of deep faith and a firm believer of using the gifts God has given us to make a difference. Recently, Ryan and his wife teamed up with World Vision as a way to generate attention and raise funds to help support children and families in AIDS impacted communities in Africa. World Vision happens to be a Christian humanitarian organization dedicated to working with children, families and their communities worldwide to provide things like: clean water, health care, nutritious food, education, and economic opportunities. Their Team World Vision organization has provided a simple way of giving everyday athletes the ability to reach beyond their own goals to where help is needed most.

In 1-John 3:18 it says, "let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and truth." Now, I know it's easy as a runner to set a goal of achieving a personal best in an event…it can be challenging, exhilarating, and satisfying on a deeply personal level. But there's more to experience and a larger impact that can be made - one that goes further than one can ever dream. For far too many years, I'll admit these races have been about me and my goals. So this year I want to purposefully set a goal that goes beyond me. I guess sometimes running accomplishments in and of themselves are empty without being done for a greater purpose.

After some long and careful consideration, I've decided that I would like to give my training and upcoming NYC experience a purpose. I've come to realize that there is something bigger than me - and it's time to take some action on its behalf. And I've decided as a way of running for something (rather than just "in" something) I am going to partner with Team World Vision for the 2008 ING New York Marathon on Nov 2. After talking with their sponsorship director, I feel this is an inspiring opportunity to hopefully combine my efforts with others to provide something to those who so desperately need it right now.

Up front, I want to clarify that the donations I will be asking for will not used to financially support me or the race in my behalf, and that all funds will be collected and used solely by World Vision for their outreach programs worldwide. Basically, what I am doing is joining a team of like-minded athletes who are using their particular racing event to help raise awareness and funds for some of the world's most vulnerable children.

Throughout the fundraising process, I'll keep track of these donations through a personal Team World Vision website where you will be able to see the numbers grow until the actual marathon event is over. (Currently, World Vision is working to add the ING New York Marathon to their list of team events, and I am waiting for this to be available. When it is ready, I'll be providing more information on my blog, as well as sending it directly to friends and family, about how you can participate.)

If you have EVER in your heart wanted to donate to a worthwhile cause such as this, but just couldn't decide the best way to do it, why not use "such a time as this" to support my efforts through Team World Vision by making a one-time donation?

Here are a few examples of how such a simple, one-time gift would be used:

  • $25.00.....provides basic lifesaving medicines and supplies to those who are weak or ill, or helps pay educational support for a child's school fees and essentials like uniforms, backpacks, and school supplies.

  • $30.00.....sends either seeds, tools, and training in Africa that can help thousands of hungry families survive, or goes to prevent starvation (every day, 14,000 children die by the suffering caused by hunger).

  • $50.00.....provides either livestock to a family that would supply a village or family with eggs, milk or even wool, or access to safe water and sanitation that can cut a community's child mortality rate by half.
A donation does not need to consist of much - even a few dollars will help; just whatever your heart leads you to give.

In summary, I simply feel God has given me the ability to do what I enjoy the most. Now I want to do my best to honor Him by using that ability to help others. And hopefully, by teaming with World Vision, maybe I can somehow use this gift to help bring a little hope to children and families in areas directly impacted by poverty, disease, natural disaster and war, who need it most right now.

Seeing the current events occurring around the world, I know we can all say the opportunities certainly abound to lend a hand. Maybe it's time to put a little hope in motion.

Thanks for your consideration & stay tuned for more info -
Mike




Update: If you would like to make a donation, please visit my World Vision Firstgiving page at http://www.firstgiving.com/mikeeilers.

3 comments:

Bill Carter said...

Hi Mike

Congrats on doing ING NY. I am quite sure it will be an amazing experience and you have made it so much more by working for such a great cause.

Best of luck.

Mike said...

Thanks, Bill. I am excited about the opportunity!

Run4JC said...

Mike

Congrats on getting into the NY Marathon - you are in for an event that can only be understood if you have the good fortune and blessing to participate. I also thank you for your kind comments related to my blog. I confess that, after 3 marathons last year my 50 year old body has decided to take a year off from running and bike. I enjoy biking, but I admit that I really miss the great running experience. I, through my company, am sponsoring the Army 10 Miler this year so perhaps that will get me back 'into my shoes.' Meanwhile, I am glad I finally checked my blog and found your comments. I plan to follow your blog knowing that our kinship of faith, family and running will connect and perhaps inspire me back out into the running world. Congratulations - good luck - God Bless. Dan