09 May 2008

Bike To Work Week 2008

Next week, commuters from all across the state will be joining together to help promote a cleaner and heathier way of transportation by leaving their cars at home and riding to work on their bicycles.

For years, May has always been Bike To Work month. Many cities around the United States and the world celebrate cycling with different activities that encourage people to enjoy bicycling more. This not only rewards those who regularly bicycle, but it encourages first-timers to give it a chance. For us runners, biking not only offers us a chance to crosstrain those weary leg muscles once in a while, but it allows us a realistic way of getting around while promoting cardiovascular fitness.

Started in 2003, a few local trail and biking organizations joined forces to host an annual Bike To Work Day in Iowa. Now, with the assistance and hard efforts of tons of sponsors and volunteers, this has evolved into a full-fledged week event that is promoted state-wide with many employers and government agencies participating.

Being an avid mountain-biker myself (and looking for any opportunity to train a bit harder for that adventure race next month) I've decided to join the ranks this year and plan on spinning the 40-mile loop to/from Des Moines at least once, if not twice. It will probably take around 90 minutes one way, and will have me getting up pretty early, but I know it's worth the effort.

I'm really looking forward to the beautiful, early morning commute it will offer, as well as the challenge it will present. If you are from the area - or even if you're not - I really hope you'll consider experiencing this alternative transportation next week in celebration of the national event. Have fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

My name is Andrea and I'm working on the Spinning Nation event. I won't bore you with the details, but it's the first Spinning fundraising event ever and we have a very small staff putting it together. If you like the idea after you take a look at what we're doing and wouldn't mind mentioning us on your blog, it would help a lot. If not, I understand. Blogs are a very personal thing and I wouldn't ask if it weren't all for good causes. Thanks, you can always reach me at andrea@sportsgrants.org. The website is www.spinningnation.org.

Best regards,
Andrea