02 May 2008

Faith Running

It’s been nearly six months since Ryan Shay collapsed and died 5.5 miles into the Men’s Olympic Marathon Trials. Leaving his wife, Alicia, a widow just months after their marriage, that day literally sent shock waves through the running community. Recent autopsy results said Ryan died of an irregular heartbeat due to an enlarged heart. He had been cleared to compete by doctors who knew about his condition and was a contender in the 26.2-mile trials.

For Alicia, the past six months have been a period of mourning while figuring out what to do next. You see, Alicia and Ryan Shay shared many dreams as a newlywed couple. One of them was qualifying for the Olympics together. But now, she has been left to fulfill this dream on her own.

On Sunday, Shay faces her first career race since Ryan's death; the Cardinal Invitational 10,000m in Stanford, California, where she once broke the collegiate record. And providing a recent abdominal muscle problem doesn't worsen, it will take her another crucial step closer towards the Olympic dream. But this time, that step will ultimately come without Ryan's supportive sideline encouragement she used to enjoy.

"It is so difficult," says Shay. "What I'm coming to realize is that I miss Ryan so much I can't even explain it. I miss my best friend... (but) I have to realize my life is not over. I have to take the strength he left me and the love and the amazing time I had with him. I believe everyone has a wonderful purpose in life. That's what gives me hope and strength every day."

Her plans now carry her forward, towards running at the U.S. Olympic track and field trails in June in Eugene, Oregon. Here she will hopefully get the chance to earn her berth into this summer's Olympics, and grab hold of that dream that Ryan and her once shared.

Shay says, "I believe the Lord uses these situations to help people and be a source of strength to people. I don't believe Ryan died for that purpose. I believe God knows the number of our days, and Ryan passed on."

"I hope that through his death other people take away the reality that our life can be short. Ryan lived with so much passion and love in his heart. My prayer is that people will take that into their own life."

2 comments:

Bill Carter said...

Hi Mike

This is such a great post. I still can't believe that Ryan dies the way he did. I remember watching the simulcast of the trials online and the commentator almost being annoyed as the ambulance was moving onto the course. He, of course, had no idea that Ryan was the reason and it was already too late.

Alicia Shay is an amazing person and her strength and passion are something we could all learn from.

Unknown said...

It was a beautiful post! Alicia is an incredible individual. She is a source of inspiration as well as Ryan to me and for the running community. I will be rooting for her when she compete this June.