17 April 2008

Life With Running

It's spring again, that time where parents from neighborhoods around you all head to the local park to teach their kids to ride a bike. The traditional method involves pushing your child as fast as you can, all the while hoping they learn to pedal and balance all at the same time before you yourself collapse from the endless sessions. This can be scary for many kids, and parents too, as I've been finding out lately. There's always the risk of skinned knees and scraped elbows. So far, my daughter has been taking this rite of passage in stride, and is slowly advancing her solo distances daily. Sure, she seems a bit unsure at times, but with guidance and a little practice she'll soon be breezing up and down our block with that natural ease we all know will come.

That also seems to be life with running. I've been running regularly literally my entire adult life. You could say it runs through my veins, as my father was also a track runner in his earlier years. I began in the mid-80's along the lake roads where my family lived in northern Minnesota. While I didn't run solely for the sake of exercise alone, my outings did provide me many a chance to think and reflect. I guess it seems running always helps to see things more clearly. Maybe it was my chance to find that freedom and some sort of adventure that a teenage boy typically seeks.

Now, lest you begin to think I was born to run, I actually wasn't. From the beginning, you could tell I was not a very proficient runner at all. My stride was too long, my breathing became too easily labored, I went out too fast in the beginning of my races... if you were to name it, I'm sure I must have encountered it in some fashion or another. In fact for many years, even after my first marathon a couple weeks after graduation, I somehow struggled to find where running became less of a chore and more of an enjoyment. But with even all the sweat and the pain I endured, I still found that it provided more benefit than I could understand. It gave my life balance.

My point is, running isn't always easy. And I know from experience that it was never designed to be...unless maybe you're a world class distance athlete. It is a constant challenge. Every day is different…the weather doesn't cooperate, you have a nagging injury, you don't get the PR you were looking for at your last race, your desire to run or train begins to wane, your dog ate your favorite shoes, etc. I have experienced them all at one point or another (except the part about the dog.) But somewhere along the way I've learned to ride the bike. Basically, I stopped thinking of running as being work, and started thinking of running as being an opportunity. That's when it started being enjoyable, it started being fun. Now, I consider running my chance to do so much more than I could do.

My guess is, there are many runners out there will agree that running can actually be relaxing; that it has the ability to ease the pressures of a bad day or bounce you back from ills of everyday life. From my experience, I know there are days where a 10-12 miler can magically loosen up the tension I've been feeling all day. Sounds crazy, but it's true.

One rewarding aspect I've experienced recently is teaching others the rewards of running and racing. You see, the cool thing about being a runner is that you always have opportunities to assist and show others the benefits of running. Be it volunteering in a local race, possibly directing your own race, or just accompanying a friend through a few of the hard and lonely miles.

There are just so many ways to enjoy life with running. What makes running enjoyable for you?

1 comment:

Bob A said...

What makes running enjoyable?

--> stress relief
--> being outside for 45-120 minutes several times per week
--> it's an activity that is measurable (distance and time) and has an end (unlike e-mail)
--> it starts my day right
--> my own expectations are the only ones that count
--> did I say it gets me outside?