17 November 2008

Monday Run-Down

It feels as though the fall season is rapidly bleeding away from us. Just yesterday, it seemed it was October...bright autumn leaves and the plans of a marathon trip to NYC but a away. Yet today's run reminded me that God created these wonderful seasons. He also created running tights, for a reason—and when the north winds howl and the temperature is hovering above freezing, you shouldn't end up forgetting them at home.

A quick run-down on recent happenings and things to come...

  • Though a little over two weeks have passed, I am still feeling the afterglow of running in the NYC Marathon. It was a great experience for me, and one I know I won't soon forget. I've had so many opportunities to relate my personal story to friends and family, as well as numerous chances to thank them for their support and prayers. It has also inspired me to look ahead and set still more goals.

  • It's definitely that time of year again. Yes, you know…the age-old, annual tradition where you blanket the outside of your home with millions of tiny bulbs, that fine act of ladder-balancing while freezing most every body part you own, the seemingly endless process of poring over the miles of drop cords and strands of Christmas lights searching for the one small reason why the entire house refuses to become a Griswoldian beacon to the local neighborhood...
     Clark:  Russ, we checked every bulb, didn't we?
    Rusty: Sure, Dad.
    Clark: Hmm...maybe we ought to just go up there
    and check...
    Rusty: Oh, wow. Look at the time. I gotta
    get to bed. I still gotta brush my teeth,
    feed the hog, still got some homework to
    do, still got those bills to pay, wash
    the car...
    Ah, Christmas is coming...now, where's that ladder?

  • The Living History Farms race is this Saturday...I am so totally psyched. And why not, this happens to be my favorite race of the entire year. I mean, where else can I spend a fabulous Saturday morning in November running through woods, fields and streams with thousands of other crazy runners and, while crossing that finish line completely covered caked in mud and grime, still have the incredulous look of pure enjoyment on my face? It's priceless.

  • No comments: