18 February 2008

Running in Snow Motion

Yet again, for the umteenth-time this winter, we've received a generous scoop of both snow and ice in our wintery sundae. Yesterday we intially saw a nice drizzling of rain in our area, but this was quickly followed by about six or more inches of fresh stuff. Suffice it to say, this little mix became quite the thick and heavy component making for a full day of snowblowing and old-fashioned shoveling. Not only did I need to dig my own driveway out more than once, but I teamed up with my brother to tackle both his and our father's as well. So, in exchange for wearing winter boots rather than my running shoes, I'd say I got in a fairly decent workout of around three hours outside overall. Tough wet work, to be honest.

Alright, the good news is that I still got in a "workout". Beings it was slick enough for my four-wheel drive vehicle to spin donuts in the street with apparent ease, I felt it was appropriate that I curtail training for the day. However, activity is still activity nonetheless. According to the Surgeon General's Report on Physical Activity and Health, 15 minutes of snow shoveling actually counts as moderate physical activity. They claim we all should aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate physical activity of some kind on most days of the week during cold winter months. So, for those of us shoveling folk in the midwestern states, as well as a few spotty areas in northern Minnesota - and most of general Alaska, I'll guess we've sufficiently peaked in our cumulative activity totals for the season. Wa-hoo ... now, where's my golden shovel trophy?

The bad news is, I still need some decent aerobic exercise in spite of this weather. Personally, I've sacrificed far too many days to my shovel this winter, and the weatherman just stated there's more on the way. To be honest, I'd much rather be playing outside, rather like the picture above suggests, than clearing snow. But I suppose that doesn't get the job done, does it?

Shoveling snow is decent, strenuous exercise. I truely believe this. However, as many of us know ... it still doesn't beat a good solid run down those local snowy paths. Besides, postponing any running during this season is something I dislike. It's about as disappointing as standing forever in line at the amusement park only to be turned away when the ride operator has you stand next to that funny heighth measurement thingie and tells you you're just a fraction too short. You wait so long to enjoy the thrill, only to have something else delay it. Gosh, maybe I should have kept that treadmill I so hastily rid myself of years ago? Man, I wish spring would get here.

As we wait for our favorite foot trails to thaw, check out this bit of 'outdoorsy' humor to end your day on ... at least I found it humorous when I watched it. Here's hoping for a run tomorrow.

Run hard and run long.



No comments: