05 February 2008

Running to Safety

Everyone knows that exercise is important. But while you are outside losing calories, you may be losing track of your surroundings. Exercise safety is an often ignored, important area of life. Here are some tips to ensure that the only thing in danger during your work out are those extra pounds:

Before the Run ...
  • Try to get a running partner.
  • Leave word with someone or write down where you plan to run and when you will return.
  • Carry some I. D. and change for a phone call.
  • Take a whistle with you.
  • Be careful wearing anything that distracts you, such as a radio/headset/earphones so that you are completely aware of your environment.
  • Avoid unpopular areas, deserted streets or lonely trails - and especially avoid unlighted routes at night.
  • Vary the route and the time of day that you run.
  • Run in familiar areas. Be aware of emergency phones and how they work, note the location of neighbors you trust along your route.
  • Know where police are usually to be found and where businesses, stores, offices are likely to be open and active.
  • Wear visible clothing and accessories -- bright colors, reflective colors, flashing lights, etc.
During the Run ...
  • Always stay alert. The more aware you are, the less vulnerable you are. Think about possible escape routes in case of a confrontation.
  • Take notice of who is ahead of you and who is behind you. Know where the nearest public sites are with some general activity - there is usually safety in numbers.
  • When in doubt, follow your intuition and avoid potential trouble. If something seems suspicious, do not panic, but run in a different direction.
  • Run clear of parked cars, bushes, dark areas.
  • Run against traffic so that you can observe the approach of automobiles.
  • If the same car cruises past you more than once, take down even a partial license number and make it obvious that you are aware of its presence (but keep your distance).
If Confronted ...
  • Run toward populated areas, busy streets, open businesses.
  • Ignore jeers and verbal harassment. Most importantly, keep moving.
  • Use discretion in acknowledging strangers. Be friendly, but keep your distance and keep moving.
  • Do not approach a car to give directions or the time of day. Point toward the nearest police or information source, shrug your shoulders, but keep moving. If you feel you must respond, do it while moving or where others are around.
  • Do not panic. Do not run toward a more isolated area.
If Attacked ...
  • Keep as calm as possible. Try to fix a description of the attacker in your mind.
  • Do not show fear or plead - this intensifies aggression in most cases.
  • Try to talk to the aggressor and look for an escape opportunity - a moment of indecision or distraction on the attacker's part.
  • Do not fight or struggle with the attacker unless there is clearly no other way out, especially if you are untrained in self defense.

9 comments:

Nancy said...

This is a great post. Thanks for the reminders. One of my very few runs at night I thought I had a great route, but ended up on a street that was darker than I thought. Always good to be aware of this stuff ahead of time.

You should post this on the informational part of Runner's Lounge. It's really great info.

Ready for another big snow? :P

Dee said...

GREAT post! You're always so helpful. :)

Mike said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike said...

Nancy - Be careful of those darker streets, as even the uneven sidewalks can be dangerous. :) Yes, I can see the snow already falling...I just finished a beautiful 4-miler around the local college...pics to come.

Dee - Thanks! And I need to remember that these tips work for guys as well, even though I 'feel' like superman when I run. :)

Nancy said...

Which college? Drake?

Frayed Laces said...

Wow. Is it bad that I don't do any of your "before the run" suggestions? Sheesh, my mom would be livid!

Bob A said...

Valuable post. I would add one thing to your Before the Run list: Wear visible clothing and accessories -- bright colors, reflective colors, flashing lights, etc.

I run pre-dawn (I run at 5:30AM and wake up at 6:30AM) and am continually amazed at the number of people who run at that time of day wearing ALL BLACK. Come on, folks! I almost ran over someone this morning while I was running because I didn't see her until I was right behind her -- our part of Richmond generally doesn't have street lights except at intersections. I usually wear a white or neon yellow shirt, white sweatshirt when it's <40°, reflective vest, and have just added a Road ID flashing light (that I attach to my Road ID wrist band). I'm not interested in becoming road kill.

Mike said...

Thanks, Bob. I hope you don't mind that I added your suggestion to the "Before the Run" list. Great addition and something I also am very prudent about myself.

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

Mike,

How are you? Hope all is going well. Nancy turned me on to this great post.

Can I share it in the Lounge as an article?

Amy
amy@runnerslounge.com