21 February 2008

"Spirit of the Marathon" Review

A friend and I went to see the movie "Spirit of the Marathon" tonight at the local theatre. Two words: humbling and inspiring. For any runner, or anyone who hangs out with runners, this is a jewel of a film. Just the type of thing I've needed lately to give my running engine a kickstart.

The movie is an award-winning documentary that follows six runners in their quest to complete the Chicago Marathon: two elite runners, two first timers, one aspiring to qualify for Boston, and one man in his seventies who has already completed a few marathons. It perfectly captures the obsessive nature of battling the monster that is the marathon. Whether it's the pre-sunrise runs, the solo 20-milers or the sea of strewn paper cups on the course, it's all there. I felt the movie was a genuine reflection of what I've personally seen and experienced in my many years of marathoning ... both the highs and the lows. If you're considering becoming a runner/marathoner, this movie is a good one to see.

I don't know about you, but I am now totally psyched for the 2-3 marathons I have scheduled for this year! This film has breathed a little fresh air into why I love running so much, and why I strive to endure running the marathon distance on a yearly basis. To see everyday people, beginning runners on up to professional athletes, struggle and strive in the same set of circumstances as I am ... that's motivational.

Nobody will ever say running - or running a marathon, for that matter - is easy, but just like you sometimes I need a gentle reminder that I'm not the only person out there who struggles. Let's face it, every runner experiences their own ups and downs, and finding motivation is often a very necessary step in achieving that running goal. This movie helped me to remember I'm not the only one on this planet who has their own personal training woes to deal with.

For a different and equally informative review of the movie (would this constitute him as Siskel to my Ebert?), check out Topher's blog.

8 comments:

Nancy said...

Oh cool. Glad you made it. I had a great experience with it too. Some nice runner gave me his ticket because his friend couldn't join him (at the first showing). It was pretty neat.

I keep forgetting to tell you - I love all those race bibs, it's a really cool look - looks professional.

Nanc

Mike said...

Glad you were able to attend the movie. It was rather neat, wasn't it? I'm sure for some first-time runners (or even marathoners), this will be quite inspirational.

Thanks for the bibs comment! Actually, those are few of my own personal number bibs from races past. One of them is from my very first race - Grandmas Marathon - back in 1987 when I graduated high school. It's rather fun to look back on them now. :) Thanks!

Bob A said...

Thanks for your review. I saw the movie when it was shown in January and I concur with you. It was inspiring. I hadn't thought about it breathing new life into my running, but it was only a week to 10 days after seeing it that I ran the longest distance of my life and felt as good as I've felt on any run.

Bob

Mike said...

Way to go, Bob!!

Topher said...

That Topher guy's post blows. He's a real Debbie Downer, wah wah (Saturday Night Live reference there). Your review was much better, if he does say so himself. And yes, you do have a wicked cool header on your blog.

:)

Mike said...

Topher, man, you crack me up! And I think your review was spot-on...just tellin' it like you see it. :)

You coming up for that donut run at IA State Univ in March?

DFerg said...

I thought it was motivating, but I did see a few people dozing off at times.

It was hard not to re=live the nervous/anxious feeling that the runners were expressing pre-race and it did make me give a second thought to running chicago this year, but I agree that it was a bit slow and dry at time.

I really like your blog, check out mine if you get a chance. :)

Here's my spirit review:
http://mindofarunner.blogspot.com/2008/02/runner
-chicks-movie-review.html

Unknown said...

Great Review! It was very inspiring.

My feet have several thousand meetings scheduled with the dirt on a trail not far from here. Who am I to keep them waiting? Time to run. ~Jeb Dickerson, Smartwool