01 February 2008

And Marathons For All

Did I mention a while back that had I registered for Grandma's Marathon? Well I did, and stayed up well past midnight to make sure my online registration was properly accepted. No bother, because I'm now all set to race in what I feel to be one of the most beautiful marathons the U.S. has to offer a runner. It will be held in Duluth, MN on June 21st. If you're a marathoner, this is a great race. I get excited about this race each and every time I race it. Of course, I get that way with every marathon I run.

You see, I have this feeling that everyone needs to attempt the marathon experience at least once in their lifetime. Alright, maybe I didn't mean "everyone" in the literal sense, but most of the runners out there anyway. I guess I consider the marathon distance to be one of the pinnacles of running, and something everyone should be allowed to sit in awe of their accomplishment at the finish line. Many runners and non-runners alike view the marathon as the ultimate running achievement, and often as something to aspire to. Not only does it deserve vision, dedication, and months of training, but it requires hours of race-day effort. Just far enough to push your boundaries, but not so far out of reach that you cannot obtain it through perseverence. When you look at it like that, it's quite possibly one of the perfect goals your everyday runner can have. And, I guess, in a sense Grandma's has been my aspiration for many years now. But the thing is, I'm beginning to also feel that it's become that continual "once-in-a-lifetime" for me ... like 14-times over-continual. Possibly it's time to add some new training incentives?

So enter my largest running goal of 2008: running in November's ING New York Marathon. Like I say, if you want to dream, be sure to dream big. Honestly though, I really want the chance to experience running in this big-city race. To encounter each of the five culturally and ethnically diverse neighborhood boroughs, to cross over the five equally unique and architecturally diverse bridges, and to soak in the thousands of spectators in the finishing lap through world-famous Central Park. Yes, I am trying to enter into one of the biggest marathon experiences out there in the world today. But let me also go on record saying this chance won't come easy.

Now if only I were a faster runner, I might have a good shot at a guaranteed entry through qualification. But I'm just not Lance Armstrong-fast (yeah, some guys have all the luck.) I guess I'll have to take my chances with the race's application lottery. Groan. I have heard so many horror stories from runners who have tried repeatedly to enter NYC via the application lottery method, only to be passed over the full three years before finally obtaining acceptance by default. Though I will gladly wait the full three years if need-be, personally I'd rather not delay my experience that long. In order to run this year in November, I am going to need a "golden ticket". Quite literally, a guaranteed entry into the race.

So is there any possibility this Midwestern runner will be able find the right Willy Wonka bar in time? As it turns out, possibly so.

I have this friend (a friend of a friend, who's brother's roommates's cousin's first nephew ... alright, you get the picture) and she works for ING ... who also happens to be the title sponsor for the NYC marathon. Through some earlier discussions and inquiry, she has been in contact with those involved with the race. To my surprise, they are attempting to secure a race "sponsorship" on my behalf. What is a sponsorship exactly? To be quite honest, I don't really know as yet. But, if all goes well, it might be that golden ticket I've been trying so hard to find.

Within a few weeks I should hopefully know more, so say a little prayer for me. Who knows, maybe this will be the beginning of a long time ambition of mine to run a marathon in each of the 50 states. Uff-da, I forgot to mention that one to my wife yet.

1 comment:

Bob A said...

I hope your connection with the ING NY Marathon gets you in. Though I have no plans to run a marathon, I must admit that watching The Spirit of the Marathon made the thought more appealing.