22 October 2007

Race Report: Des Moines Marathon

Things were just not meant to be at the Des Moines Marathon yesterday. Though I had originally set my sights on running a sub-4:00 PR at the race, I unexpectedly encountered issues of both fatigue and back pain early on and had to settle for a time of 5:14. Now I'm not complaining, as I feel you should be thankful for any race that you have the ability to run, let alone finish. Nor am I discouraged, as there will always be those ups and downs in any race you run. However, I have to honestly admit, I am a little disappointed that I was unable to obtain the results I'd looked forward to. Here's a recount of the event ...

As race mornings go, everything started off as well as could be. Though my wife is normally my biggest fan on the course, she was diagnosed with pneumonia late last week and wisely decided to instead stay at home to rest and continue to recover. So I met up with my parents instead, who were to become my exclusive cheering section for the route. After a short drive, we arrived downtown early on and parked near the courthouse where the course would turn runners north from Court Avenue onto 4th Street. As we approached the start line near Capital Square, thousands of runners nervous with energy and excitement jostled back and forth as they waited for the gun to sound the race start. With only a few minutes to go, I bid my chase crew goodbye and hopped over the race chute fence to find my place near the 4:00 pace team. After saying a quick prayer, the gun went off and the large crowd surged forward along Locust Avenue and up towards the golden dome of the capitol building. The weather was clear and the temperature was just right.

The course early on was rather uneventful, other than the normal excited chatter of racers and high-fives from spectators along the streets. By the time the half-marathoners split off from the group to head south towards Water Works Park, us marathoners began the long climb up Grand Avenue hill past Terrace Hill. My mile times remained relatively even, with splits ranging from 9:02 to 9:24, but as I reached the shaded portions of Glenview and Foster Drives, I could tell my body was wanting to falter somewhat. I felt as though my energy was depleting much more quickly than I typically encounter in a marathon distance, so I began slow my pace to around 9:20-9:40 to save my reserves, all the while struggling to keep that precious 4:00 pace banner in my sights. Rounding the corner from Polk Blvd onto Kingman, I encountered my parents cheering me on from the median and began my trek towards the loop around the inside of the Drake track stadium for mile 12. I'll have to admit, whoever came up with the idea to loop the runners around this track was a genius. Not only do you have a chance to see what it feels like to run this spectacular venue, but you also get a glimpse of yourself on the jumbotron from a camera specially positioned. It's a very nice way to get pumped up for the remaining 14 miles to go.

Exiting the Drake campus and winding my way back down to a return trip along Kingman Blvd, I once again felt the power reserves slip and a few new aches begin to surface. Though I had cruised through the first half of the marathon in a little over 2:09, I could tell something was wrong. My chances at reaching my PR goal of 4:00 had already begun to erode, and now threatened to possibly eliminate my finishing the race altogether. I struggled to evaluate myself to determine what was hurting, why I was feeling so tired, why couldn't I keep my turnover rate high. Not finding a specific answer, I reached back to my pre-race goals and began focusing intently on number two: finish the race. Saying another quick prayer, I passed by my chase crew again and informed them of my now conservative approach. I then picked up my lead-filled feet and turned down into Greenwood Park and onto the Bill Riley trail at mile 16. I'd trained on this section once before a couple of weeks ago and had really enjoyed the solitary run through the autumn-colored trees along the winding river path. Though today I was thoroughly tired and already beginning to feel sore, I still did my best to soak in this wonderful experience and hoped it would somehow help me to recharge a little.

Crossing the pedestrian bridge south of Water Works Park, we entered the outlying portion of the course (called "no man's land" by many a runner) to follow the road around the back pond. Here is where my body began its attempts to shut down. Forced to walk most of this loop, I again met my parents who wondered if calling it a day would possibly be best. I'll have to admit I was close to submitting to their suggestion, but seeing the downtown skyline in the distance certainly gave me inspiration and I knew that only about six miles remained between me and finishing. I'd been in similar situations in many races past and knew that this was where the 90% mental portion of the race came in. Taking in a power gel and downing a couple of sliced oranges, I shuffled back into my run and crossed over Fleur Drive onto the trail for the 2-mile loop trip around Gray's Lake. Being familiar with this portion of the course from making it a part of my normal training regimen, I slid myself into cruise-control and allowed my legs to slowly and monotonously carry me over the Gray's Lake bridge, around the lake and up the final hill towards MLK Parkway. Only two miles left to go ...

Fortunately, having the entire eastbound lanes of MLK to ourselves, all of us runners could freely spread out to our leisure for the remaining distance before the final turn onto 3rd Street. As I rounded that last corner, I saw my father who encouraged me by letting me know that the family was waiting for me at the end, to which I had a swell of both appreciation and relief knowing the finish line was gratefully near. Crossing over the railroad tracks and the final few hundred yards, I was greeted with warm reception from an epic crowd gathered just as the clock ticked 5:14:46. "There, it's finished", I thought to myself, and let relief wash over me.

As I began looking around for my support crew among the multitude, I was pleasantly greeted by Cal Murdoch, friend and director of the Drake 1/2 Marathon, who congratulated me and commented on my superb choice of running apparel (a bright yellow Dam-to-Dam finisher shirt). And after receiving the well-deserved finisher medal around my neck, I located my family a few yards down. I was delighted to not only find my parents but also my wife's sister and her family. My nephews had even brought homemade "Way to go, Uncle Mike!" posters to help celebrate the moment ... they are so awesome. I must say a hearty thank you to everyone who helped, supported, well-wished and said a prayer for me during the race ... you are very much appreciated.

Though I'm unsure what happened, I will hazard a guess that my performance is likely the result of the holding pattern I'd purposefully put myself into this previous week. Coupled with the reality that I am possibly coming down the cold I'd tried so hard to avoid. Such is life, I guess.

This may not be my best race, but for sure won't be my last. And though these results were not what I was looking forward to, sometimes you need to focus on just finishing the race. Every race you run will teach you something, if you're willing to listen. So, until the next one, run hard and run long.
    "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." 2 Timothy 4:7
Photo by DSM Register

3 comments:

Kent said...

Congratulations Mike on finishing another marathon. I know what you mean about missing goals, but I am resting in the faith that lessons can be transferred both in good experiences and in bad. I really appreciate your attitude and wanted to give your major kudo's for completing another marathon.

Nancy said...

Big Congrats on finishing this tough race. I think I might have spotted you before the race, but wasn't for sure. It seems unlikely amongst thousands, I guess that is why I didn't say anything.

Sounds like you had a great crew. Great job!!

Nancy said...

PS I thought that loop was going to kill me too, it looked so huge!