17 October 2007

Motivation For Life's Rollercoaster

Too often we overlook the reasons for why we do what we do. To be honest, it isn't that difficult. It's quite easy to get sucked into the hectic frenzy that our lives create for us each day. Being placed in the front seat of life's bustling rollercoaster as it courses through our day, swinging us up one clamorous hill and down the next, winding back and forth. The daily "ride" can be challenging and yet consuming for us. Sure, it may seem like a thrilling or exciting ride at first, but it can leave you feeling quite dizzy and possibly burned out the longer you ride. It's tough to jump back on if you don't know why you are doing it. Without some sort of motivation backing up our endeavors, the thrill dulls for us. The same can be seen for running. What is it that motivates us to train relentlessly, strain to run down that elusive PR, or chase that dream of marathon glory? What is it that encourages us to get up before the crack of dawn, or pushes us out the door well after dusk?

I was reading the recent Runners Lounge blog on Why I Run and had to smile for a moment. It consisted of some great motivational opinions from various runners all about what running really means to them. Some of the observations we can all share included:

  • I run to see the world,

  • I run for solitude,

  • I run because it makes me feel strong,

  • I run to catch my breath,

  • I run because I'm able,

  • I run because it makes life look easier.
The comments by Amy and her other contributors were both humorous and enlightening, and fell right on the mark. So I pondered my own question ... why do I run? What is it that encourages me to set running goals, or go that extra mile ... what is MY motivation?

Strangely, the answer is not in the long list of races I've completed over the years, nor the amount of medals or race t-shirts I've tucked away in a box in the basement. Sure, those are nice reminders of my accomplishments, but I want to believe I have deeper reasons than just those. Like others, I share truthful motivations of running for solitude, of recharging my inner battery, of seeing the world as I run, or of making goals that give me something to work towards and proving to myself that I can. To aspire to be the humble husband who does his best to keep himself in modest shape, or the daddy that my children need to play and chase after them each day after work. (It's true, it is far more difficult to do this if I let the donuts rule.)

But even though these motivations are great for physical fitness, I also need to take it a step further and remember my motivation for spiritual fitness ... to be the person God intends for me to be for my life. I Timothy 4:7 says, "exercise (or train) ourselves toward godliness." God teaches us that our mind and bodies are to be dedicated to him. And running is a unique tool in achieving this. It's far too easy to sit on life's couch taking a relaxed approach than to live a God-honored life. That as my body grows in strength, my heart also needs to grow to be more like God. Together, the fitness of both my mind AND body help me to become that man of Godly character that I need to be. And that needs to be my greatest motivation of all.


    "How well we train greatly affects how well we run our race of life." David McCasland
Photo by David Sanger

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Totally agree. I think running makes me a better person, more like the one I am meant to be. Great post!

Tom@RunnersLounge said...

Hi Mike, What a great post! You captured some great thoughts I'll carry with me in my running and non-running moments.

So glad you're sharing your insights about running and living.

Tom

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

You mentioned you started a blog - but you didn't tell me what a GREAT start you are off to -- great set of posts!

Great reasons you run - love what you capture on your header!

Amy
http://blog.runnerslounge.com