23 October 2007

Running Unplugged

With talk of many USATF sponsored races beginning to either strongly discourage or prohibit the use of personal music devices, it's a good time to stress the need for all runners to always run wisely. Let's face it folks, runners and drivers are much more distracted today than ever before. And with the seasons changing, and less daylight to run in than the day before, a runner just needs to pay closer attention to traffic or their surroundings. No matter if you agree with the new ruling or not, I still feel each runner should educate him or herself on the safety hazards associated with wearing headphones or earbuds. Because there are far too many scary stories dealing with runners whose headphones were turned up so loud that they were completely oblivious to their surroundings.

Yes I'll admit, listening to music once in a while sure helps the miles go by for me. It can be easily used to get you in the mood to run, encourage you to tackle a formidable hill when you're out of breath, or press you to go the longer distance during a workout ... music can be a strong inspirational motivator. But equally as important as learning to properly run with music ... is learning to run without the music.

I've heard too many stories of runners who say they could never attempt a race without their music player, because that is how they train. But little do they realize, they are actually restricting themselves when it comes to what many feel is the true nature of running, and that is experiencing yourself and your surroundings. My advice to them would be to do themselves a favor ... learn the art of running unplugged. Find simple gratification in what a solitary run can do for you when there's nothing else to listen to but the sound of the roadway and your footsteps. Or quite possibly the sound of your own thoughts for a few quiet, precious moments. Don't be chained to the music player, be devoted to the road instead.

To be honest, I love listening to music as much as most of you. But I have to admit, it's when I run without my iPod that I think I appreciate the purity of running the most. In whatever choice you make, run smart and run safe.

Photo by JupiterImages

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I started out training exclusively with music but as I forgot my shuffle occasionally, realized it was pretty cool out there without it. My suggestion? Start with a shorter run and give it a try. If you don't think you can go with out it, don't test it first on your long run.

Another hazard? Have you seen the pics of the guy who's headphones were struck by lightning as he ran? Oh. my. gosh. nasty.