19 October 2007

"Ready, Set, GO-ALS!"

I can hardly approach this weekend without a quick mention on goals, and the goals that I have set for my race on Sunday. Simply, goals for me are motivation. And enabling them allows me to sometimes face my most difficult challenges. They can also be designed to create a form of committment, so that you feel some measure of accountability as you strive to reach your goal. But of course, setting realistic goals that are obtainable are key. Here are mine, in order of importance:
  1. enjoy but not hurt myself,
  2. finish the race,
  3. set a new marathon PR.

The first two, I feel, are easily obtainable. I always enjoy myself in whatever race I am in, even if there's pain involved. And having finished many marathons already, I know what it will take in order to get to that finish line.

Now, about that last one. My optimistic goal for the Des Moines Marathon is to run a sub-4 hour. This is a goal I've had for quite a while now, actually since I came so close back in 1992. You see, the marathon PR I set for myself at that race was 4:00.45 ... one I have wanted for so long to conquer. I actually came fairly close a few years back with a time of 4:09 at the 2004 Des Moines event. Even though I've had my years of either comfortable and serious running, this year I feel more determined that ever. I've been pushing myself to get stronger day by day, so I can take on this challenge with confidence again. My last long run of 18 miles showed me I could keep the pace I'll require, and actually gave me the boost I've needed. However, the cold and flu bugs flying around my household lately have left me second-guessing myself.

Only two more days. Do I feel my goals are realistic and obtainable? Yes. Am I positive and committed? Yes. So, will "it" happen this year? I don't know ... we'll have to wait and see.

Best wishes go out to all those who will be running ... Nancy, Kent, Teri, and the many others I've met recently through Runners Lounge. Come cheer us on!

3 comments:

Kent said...

Thanks for the comments on my DM Register article on the Runnerslounge.

Count me as one more person who is rooting for you to do the sub-4 hr run Sunday. I hear you on the cold bug. As a semi-precautionary measure, I have been taking Cold-eeze tablets just in case and perhaps stop the running nose. Take care and certainly best of luck on Sunday...

Nancy said...

Thanks for the shout.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU. I love the Goals and the order. Mine are the same. Have fun and enjoy and hopefully not hurt myself, finish, and PR. I have only run this distance once before and it was pretty ugly. Not sure whether that works for me (the time) or against (will I make it?)

Great little sign. :D Have a blast.

Nancy

Bob A said...

I'm rooting for you to go sub-4. Looking forward to the race report.