23 April 2008

13 Words Of Running Advice

This week's "Take It And Run Thursday" theme at Runners Lounge happens to be 13 words of wisdom or advice you can impart upon others. I've been thinking about this and realized running, for me, boils down to one simple thing:

"All a runner needs are a pair of shoes and somewhere to run..."

I feel that sentence, in itself, is truth for most of us runners out there. Whether we fully realize it or not, we happen to be very fortunate participants in one of the oldest and greatest physical sports known to man. Yet, sometimes I think we unintentionally take it for granted.

We should remind ourselves that running is likely considered one of the least preparatory-driven or gear-intensive of recreational exercises out there. While also offering the most independence...whether it be freedom from stress, freedom of better health, freedom to explore, etc. In fact, it's often so easy to take part in that we at times find ourselves overanalyzing and making up excuses for NOT doing it. I guess, be it human of us to complicate something simple and good for us, huh?

So, my advice is...remember the simplicity of running and utilize it. Don't overcomplicate it, or let it overcomplicate you.

Just grab your shoes and let it become a vehicle that takes you somewhere today.

4 comments:

Midwest said...

I completely agree. This is one of the things I love about running.

Robert Barker said...

I like your post, good stuff.

kara said...

smile

Bob A said...

Agreed ... but I would add a couple other articles of clothing. :)