14 April 2008

Monday Mind-Dump

A few thoughts & happenings from my past week...
  • It snowed this Saturday, just incredible...who would have thought our late winter would be hanging on with such a fierce grip still. Fortunately, the temps should be climbing up into the 60's this week, which will make for some nice, long training runs before the Drake Relays race on the 26th.

  • My business trip to New York this past week went very well…learned a ton of great stuff from my conference on web site usability, and had an amazing time exploring Manhattan. Even logged about 18 miles in and around Central Park while I was there. Now I'm excited to show my wife the city when we return for the NYC Marathon in November.

  • An update on the adventure racing gig in June…a good friend of mine, who happens to be a fellow youth group leader, has joined our team to now cement our four-person male squad. I am really excited he can join us! I'm hastily working on scheduling some training training, and if all goes well we might be able to get together hopefully in the next week or two.

  • We took the kids to see "Horton Hears A Who" this weekend (included voices by Jim Carrey and Steve Carell)…they loved it. It's a cute movie for kids that teaches us the important lesson that "a person's a person, no matter how small". However, my kids have me terrified of walking through my own garden lest I step on a speck-borne town of microscopic Who-villians.

  • Training update: Though I haven't had the chance to rack up the mileage as yet, my training is coming along nicely so far this spring. My runs have been quality and my base is slowly increasing. Also looking forward to hitting the singletrack trails with the mountain bike once the local trails begin to dry up.

  • A shout out to Ryan Hall on his Flora London Marathon race yesterday. Even though he placed fifth overall, his 2:06:17 finish time is now the fastest-ever by an American-born runner, eclipsing that of 2:09:41 jointly held by Alberto Salazar and Alan Culpepper. This guy is incredibly fast...can't wait to see what he does at the Olympics this summer!

  • It's the week leading up to the Boston Marathon (Monday, April 21)...another one of those races I dream of being able to run in some day. Guess I'd better work on New York first though...

  • My wife sent me this really great verse that I've been meditating a lot on. It's Psalm 84:11-12, "For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord will give grace and glory; no good thing will be withheld from them that walk uprightly. O Lord Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in You." Learning to trust like that isn't easy, as I've found in my past, but God's grace is sufficient for everything I might question.

No comments: