03 April 2008

hy·dra·tion

hy·dra·tion, [hī-ˈdrā-shən] noun: the act or process of combining or treating with water in order to restore or maintain fluid balance; the quality or state of being or becoming hydrated, to restate balance.

I went for a run during my lunch today. It was around 40 degrees outside, heavily overcast and hinted at possible showers...all conditions I normally love to run in. Of course, I pondered the thought of changing the workout into an inside weight routine (not hoping for a cold to develop before my NYC trip), but I'm typically a glutton for punishment anyway so I grabbed my vest and running hat and headed out the door. Crossing over the river and into East Village, the tiny droplets inevitably began to fall; a few a first, then a steady stream followed. I pulled the brim of my hat down a bit lower and tucked my arms in closer to hopefully lessen my ability of being a direct target, but then realized the attempt was pointless. It didn't just shower, it rained...hard. Midway through my run, I faced the normal decision of turning back towards my downtown starting point or extending my outing by a few additional miles around Grays Lake. Again, my adventurous spirit took over and I plodded off down the wet trail in search of extra mileage, not willing to end this unique run so soon. By then I had become so accustomed to the cold and windy rain that I just let my feet carry me onward, while allowing my mind to wander.

I began thinking about this Thursday's Runner's Lounge topic on hydration. Though I am most assuredly no expert on the subject, I feel I do know a bit about hydration and its effects from my years of adventure racing. In that type of an event, you ultimately need to be quite sure of a few things come race day. That is: 1) that you are properly hydrated before the race even begins, 2) that you carry adequate hydration with you throughout the course, and 3) that you exercise proper fluid intake at predetermined intervals to achieve optimal athletic performance. We developed this practice where one of us teammates would set the timer of his/her watch to sound off once every 20 minutes, then we'd each take a nominal drink of fluid to help stave off any inklings of dehydration. I can remember back once, during the long biking portion of a sweltering 30+ hour race we were in, when a teammate of mine neglected this simple ritual and his body literally just shut down. Fortunately for him, we were near a farmhouse and were able to quickly find the assistance we needed. It was such a simple example of how crucial hydration is...and how without it the body can easily become unbalanced in many ways.

Okay, getting back to my run through the rain today. In allowing my mind to meander, I realized yet another type of hydration that we often do not consider. Okay, you know how some days are just so busy being filled with things to do, places to go, that they literally make your head spin, all the while wishing for that one rainy day when we can call in sick, just so we can stay at home and push the pause button on the remote of life, allowing ourselves that simple but rare moment of recharge? I've had those days. Well, running through the rain I remembered how hydration is not just important for my body, but how it is also essential for my spirit and soul. I guess I'm not talking about hydration as being the type of fluids you intake, but more like it being literally anything that allows you to become balanced, as in that shift or influence that helps enable us back into a sense of balance? You see, something that motivates you can also "hydrate" you.

Hydration for me is one of many things, one of which is running. It's funny how I can find enjoyment running outside in the cold rain, but I can. It's something I realize I like to do, that possibly many others do not find comfort in. Possibly I take joy in knowing it makes me unique. I also enjoy playing with my kids, even when they're jumping off the "high ropes" of the couch onto dear 'ole dad below. They and my wife both give me the insight and ability to ground myself in these ever-demanding days. If it weren't for them, I know my days would be just a blur. And just last night, I took a step outside my comfort zone and signed on to become a leader on our church youth leadership team. It was an awesome and humbling time hanging with those kids, not only from being totally owned in dodgeball (I have a few paypacks to deliver next week) but also from seeing their open minds and hearts yearning for attention and answers. Now, that really re-hydrates me.

I suppose hydration can easily be about the flavor of Gatorade you drink after a long run, or the complex fueling strategy you may have for your next race. But it's not just about the carbohydrates...it's about you. Consider for once how hydration can also have an effect on who you are and what you're made of.

We all need hydrating sometimes. What's your hydration method?

4 comments:

The Laminator said...

Excellent post. I always like the spin you take on things. I guess for me, reading, writing, and blogging are what hydrates me. Whenever I'm done with a long or hard run, I need to sit and do those things to give me perspective to go through the rest of the day.

Midwest said...

This post really made me think. Nicely done!

Bob A said...

In a metaphorical sense, we could talk about a variety of ways to hydrate: spiritual hydration (daily quiet time and service to others), relationship hydration (adequate time with people to balance the tasks that many of us have to perform), family hydration (quality and quantity time with spouse, kids, parents, extended family), mental hydration (reading, writing, Sudoku, crossword puzzles), etc. Interesting thought -- this might become a random thought while I run, even if I don't ever write about it.

Pastor Karl said...

What a great post! This is a tremendous reminder of the need for hydration on many levels. I'm sure that the folks who read it will think about it on their next run. I know I will.