01 April 2008

Sicker Than A Dog?

We runners all know, we don't like to skip workouts - even when we're feeling lousy. Sure, everyone gets sick, so deciding whether or not to train while you are sick is something you're bound to become faced with sooner or later. I know, firsthand, with the cold I'm currently experiencing at the moment it's a tough choice: do I continue my current training routine in hopes of feeling better and not losing my mileage buildup, or do I take a unexpected running sabbatical and sacrifice some of my hard-earned springtime effort?

Knowing what to do, and when to do it, can become crucial in keeping your training on track.
  1. First of all, take care of yourself. Get plenty of sleep (8+ hours per night, plus naps if possible). Eat light (for example, soups, crackers, fruit, fresh or steamed veggies, etc.) and drink lots of water (some juice is okay, but watch out – juice is calorie-dense). Remember, everyone gets a cold from time to time, so try to stay relaxed and eliminate as much stress as possible. The sooner you get well, the quicker you're back training and racing.

  2. If your symptoms are only above your shoulders (for example, a head cold and maybe a light sore throat) with no fever or aches then an easy 30-60 minutes of zone-1 aerobic exercise (spin, run, swim) is alright, but only if you are feeling up to it. If you’re not motivated, don't work out. Just do some stretching and light core work, and follow the first guideline above.

  3. If you feel your sickness in your chest, have a fever, and/or aches, then DO NOT EXERCISE. Remember, the sooner you get well, the sooner you can resume training. Once you're starting to feel better (no longer sick below the neck, no aches or fever) wait another 48 hours to resume your regular training routine. If you’re feeling motivated during the 48 hours, see guideline #2. But be sure to see your doctor if you are really sick!
For some additional information, check out this Runner's World article that can help you decide if or when you should take a sick day from training. Just remember...know your limits!

2 comments:

Bob A said...

Basically, I listen to my body. If I feel like running, I go; if I don't, I don't. And, that will usually end up being according to your above/below the shoulders guidelines.

The Laminator said...

Very sound advice, Jim. As runners we are all come face-to-face with that issue whenever we're feeling a little below the weather. Thanks for the reminder.