06 April 2008

Through The Park

Hi from...see the picture to the left...New York City!

Just a quick note to let you know I had the amazing opportunity to get in a stimulating run this afternoon after my flight landed for my conference this week. In Central Park, no less! My hotel just so happens to be located about 1.5 miles from the park, so I made the plan to take advantage of its closeness, as well as some downtime before my conference tomorrow, to get a few miles in ... I can't let the training slip, even while I'm away. In fact, I was so enthusiastic during my 60-minute commute from the airport that after arriving at my hotel and dragging my baggage up to my room I immediately tore out my running clothes and headed straight for the streets below.

After a quick learning session of dodging the fast-paced traffic up along Broadway, I located the park entrance and immediately set off to tackle the infamous 6-mile training loop I'd learned about from a friend weeks before. Winding my way counterclockwise around the park, I was amazed at how hilly the terrain really was. I guess I'd thought it would be much more flat, as the surrounding streets had led me to initially believe, but it was a good surprise as I made the most of each one I encountered, including the long and winding set near the north end. I thought it amazing at how so many people could end up sharing the roadway there, as there were hundreds of other runners along the course (as well as walkers, bikers, rollerbladers, skateboarders, and a plethora of strollers), and yet the park still felt so intimate to each person.

The best part of the entire run happened just as I was nearing the end of my 6-mile lap. There I found the official finish line for the ING New York Marathon! Yep, the exact spot where Lance Armstrong looked so dogged last fall. Of course, I couldn't locate this myself and had to ask an NYRR staff member, who just so happened to be in the park for a race that had finished earlier this afternoon. He led me to the official curb marking (a small painted indicator - they removed the actual line and will replace it again as the marathon nears later this fall) a few feet away. At that moment, the full reality of it stepped in. This marked the end of a long journey I would soon be undertaking. Flashing the guy a huge smile, I explained, "This is where you'll see me come November 2nd!" and ran off.

Wow--to have the good fortune of being able to run through New York City, including the scenic and unbelievably huge Central Park, has been a longtime dream of mine. Honestly, I can't wait to get back out there again before I leave in the next couple of days.

3 comments:

Topher said...

I'm wicked jealous. Both that I've never been to NYC and that you get to run in the NYMarathon.

The Laminator said...

Wow, that's awesome. I'm so glad you found the park to your liking. Yeah, the hills are tough, but probably not as tough as dodging the pedestrians on the weekends. And I totally agree about crossing the finish line. I still have goosebumps when I'm running north on the west side of the park crossing that historic landmark.
Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay in the Big Apple.

Bob A said...

I don't, at this point anyway, have plans to run a marathon. But, I do think it would be way cool to run in Central Park. One day.